How do we force darkness on people without shaders?

Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 29117 times)

I'll settle for fog though.

I'll settle for fog though.
this all the way. sure, you can't fix lines/decals/the like, but if you can just reimplement fog for off users that would be enough for most purposes.

given how it wasn't an issue to have fog before v21, without shadows, it should be possible to implement. Only Badspot knows why it isn't already in...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:30:44 PM by Conan »

you can't fix lines

Actually you can.

I have anti-glowing textures that don't over exaggerate the lines. I just turned them off for the picture examples.

So fog + no lines and that's all I need. I wouldn't need darkness or shadows I'd be all set.

i meant more in the general sense. there's workarounds, yes, but decals still shine through fog and stuff. thanks though.

i meant more in the general sense. there's workarounds, yes, but decals still shine through fog and stuff. thanks though.

I'm fine with that, it's literally not as bad as my off and minimum comparison shots.

I am in favor of fog or whatever despair syndrome is.

Overlay a big ass transparent black ,png image if we have to.

Fog is good for your own server, but in general having a server-sided shader minimum would be helpful for designing servers in the future.

I do remember someone making a pvp game using the off settings before, so having a "min" and "max" value for your servers' shaders would be wonderful for server hosts. However, having a "min" value is much more important than "max".

Potentially servers could be displayed as a lighter shade of grey in the server listing if your hardware cannot support shaders. Could have a message that says something along the lines of "The host of this server has enforced ___ level shaders on their server. Are you sure you want to join?" for if you do not meet the requirements but have the option, or it could say "Your hardware does not meet the requirements to join this server" if your computer cannot even select higher shaders.

The only issue from this option would be bad hosts setting their join requirements to be max shaders, but if hosts are being that picky then I'm not sure I want to join their servers in the first place.

I was hosting a server, and me and a few people were inside of a house that was pitch black. I have max shaders on, so I can't see stuff inside the house. The person next to me, on the other hand, suddenly dives into the darkness and navigates it with no problem. I had to use my little light thing to find my way through, whilst this guy is magically guided through the darkness like there's lines telling him where to go. Actually, that's exactly what it is.

Extremely bad for servers that are attempting, say, stealthy things that use darkness to it's advantage.

I'm fine with that, it's literally not as bad as my off and minimum comparison shots.

I am in favor of fog or whatever despair syndrome is.

Overlay a big ass transparent black ,png image if we have to.
Overlaying a big image would be client sided and just as easily bypassed as forcing the shader setting through a client sided add-on.

Overlaying a big image would be client sided and just as easily bypassed as forcing the shader setting through a client sided add-on.

Constant centerprint loop of an image.

Constant centerprint loop of an image.
it's possible, but i'm not sure if you could just bypass it by unchecking 'download textures'. it's gotta be tested i guess
the only server off the top of my head that probably used something like that would be pload's jail escape

although if it worked it would darken everything regardless of light
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:46:29 PM by The Resonte! »

You use to be able to force specific textures to download no matter what, don't know if it can be done still.

So I saw you where discussing an engine change a few pages back, the closest and most possible thing would probably be Torque 3D, its also free now so that's something else to note.

So I saw you where discussing an engine change a few pages back, the closest and most possible thing would probably be Torque 3D, its also free now so that's something else to note.

Isn't that more of a downgrade?