How do we force darkness on people without shaders?

Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 29104 times)

It provides no darkness though it just shortens the visible distance and even then it has a higher advantage over fog users.

It provides no darkness though it just shortens the visible distance and even then it has a higher advantage over fog users.
unfortunate for you right

Christ. Lord Tony and Zeblote. Zeblote? I respect you because you make some pretty amazing add-ons. But seriously? Not everyone who plays Blockland exists solely to play video games. I have a Mac because I am primarily a musician and I use DAWs which are simply better on Mac and for other reasons that I'm not going into.

I'm also a student living in a dorm and don't have the time, space, money, or good enough reason to get a good desktop SPECIFICALLY to run Blockland.

I play mostly only on one server with a password nowadays, and sometimes we use some pretty huge builds. Using the "off" feature is really handy to me most of the time.

Why did you bump this then

I have a Mac because I am primarily a musician and I use DAWs which are simply better on Mac and for other reasons that I'm not going into.

That's fine, don't expect the game industry to care about your non-gaming computer though. You'll just not be able to play games that require certain graphics performance.

I would suggest that they remove the ability to even turn off shaders. Shadows optional but I mean sure it wont let people with toaster PC's play but on the upside you can make shadows and the shaders actually play into the mechanics.

I like how the title sounds like something that a cringy kid's devianart fanfic would have in it.

I like how the title sounds like something that a cringy kid's devianart fanfic would have in it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Pukkel the Builder may have newfound inspiration thanks to you.

I play mostly only on one server with a password nowadays

Just another reason forced shaders should be a serverside option.

https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=295682.0

If you can enforce this level of vignette onto players could that simulate darkness?

https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=295682.0

If you can enforce this level of vignette onto players could that simulate darkness?
the blending just makes things lighter. using darker colors just makes it appear slightly lighter than regular view.

your best bet would be to use black vignette, but checking multiply wont make a difference

Do you need to have light outside? I set up custom ambient light on my server to make interior build look less flat, like this

and it just doesnt show at all for people without shaders:

How'd you do that, Zeblote? Did you use environmental settings or are they brick lights?

How'd you do that, Zeblote? Did you use environmental settings or are they brick lights?
he changed both direct and ambient light to pure darkness but set the shadows to be lighter

assuming thats either low or higher, how does it look on minimum?

I set all environmental colors to 0 0 0 and instead made 4 giant point lights about 100000 studs away. That way every face is shaded slightly different (based on its normal) so interior builds become less monotone grey in grey.

If you want to try that out, remove all other point lights (as they would get used instead in the shader), remove environmental light except direct, then say /creategiantlights http://pastebin.com/raw/G3UcTnYZ
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:31:41 PM by Zeblote »