How do we force darkness on people without shaders?

Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 29324 times)

Usually I'd side with you tony, and while pecon is right, many computer can run minimum with no problems, some people play Blockland on an old laptop that can't handle of any sorts of shaders, and you can't stick a gt 610 or anything like that into a 2002-2005 laptop.

If the game has been working for people that payed for it why should it all of a sudden stop working because the requirements went up for some game modes?

I mean sure you have a point, and while I can Max the game out and have crisp shadows I still think people who can't afford newer hardware should be able to keep playing the game they payed for instead of one day updating it only to find out they can't run it.

I have Three older computers in my house that people still use, one being an old anthlon xp with a ancient nvidia card that runs blockland at 60fps with no issues as long as shaders are not enabled, an older pentium 4 computyer with a HD 6670 that can handle shaders but framerate drops to 30 and below and its unbearable, and an old celeron computer than can only play Blockland if shaders are off, or else I get a stuff ton of artifacts.

But overall, yeah your right on some points, it does ruin some game modes, but Its not worth forcing an update that will leave people with a unplayable game.
I know if I didn't have the best computer around and my game updated and it no longer work I would of been pissed off... and if the game didn't work because of requirements I would of even asked for a refund since I would of payed for something that was fully developed and not in dev.

Not counting the one I actually play Blockland on since I run that one with Max shaders at all time with no issue.

I know if I didn't have the best computer around and my game updated and it no longer work I would of been pissed off... and if the game didn't work because of requirements I would of even asked for a refund since I would of payed for something that was fully developed and not in dev.

You lost me here.

Technically adding shadows to Blockland makes Blockland more developed than it was before.

You lost me here.

Technically adding shadows to Blockland makes Blockland more developed than it was before.
Shadows honestly look pretty bad, unless it's just my laptop that does it.

But overall, yeah your right on some points, it does ruin some game modes, but Its not worth forcing an update that will leave people with a unplayable game.

The game is plenty playable.

There has to be an actual sophisticated study on how many people exactly won't be able to play. Computers are fully optimized for about 2-6 years then you have to either upgrade or get a new one. If you are still using a 2003 computer you are about 13 years behind.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:52:00 AM by Lord Tony® »

The game is plenty playable.

There has to be an actual sophisticated study on how many people exactly won't be able to play. Computers are fully optimized for about 2-6 years then you have to either upgrade or get a new one. If you are still using a 2003 computer you are about 13 years behind.
The problem is those people with ancient computers believe that just because their computer works they don't need to upgrade, they go by the "If its not broke don't fix it" modo.

I run a computer repair shop in my garage, and I have people bringing me ancient stuff all the time like just a few days ago I had somebody bring in an old Intel Pentium D Gateway desktop running XP. All I did was pop in a new power supply and it was working as good again...I unfortunately contributed to said problem, but hey cash is cash, and if somebody is willing to give you 70 bucks to fix a dinosaur of a pc why not take the cash.

And by in dev I meant like those steam early access games that are not even in 1.0 completion state, I'm not sure if  would count Blockland as a game that is under development, If anything I would consider its First steam release as the full game, and everything else before that, including the dread V16 ghost brick bug that made building impossible, in development, to add to that we did not have events built into the game until V8.

Don't really have what else to discuss about so I just hope you find a solution tony, you should try looking into Pre-Baked Shadows (and maybe shaders?) like the ones used in maps back then.

Minimum shaders are actually far more optimized than the old rendering system. You can tell this because on higher end computers, minimum shaders will actually pull more frames than the old rendering system. This is because the new rendering system takes advantage of a number of rendering features that today are built directly into the hardware of a graphics card, so there really is a lot of truth in 'anything made this decade' as being able to run the new graphics.
This actually isn't true when there's a lot of players on the server.

I could run TF2 on my 2003 HP Pavilion. It took about 30-50 minutes just to join a server. It says I have 500 hours of TF2 but more than half of that is just loading.

Just because I could technically still run TF2 doesn't mean that I don't need an update.

When I was playing Fallout 3 on my 2003 computer the loading screens were about 30 minutes long. Each time I died the loading screens kept getting longer. I died so many times the loading screen literally became a whole loving hour long.

Talk about hardcore mode.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:40:29 AM by Lord Tony® »

Supposing you own a low-end with a 2 gigahertz processor and 4 gigabytes of memory (That's what system diagnosis programs say to me, at least)...

In single player, minimum with all other settings high are going to work fine, unless the build in question is like 50k bricks and/or plenty of lights.

A party of up to four players, mmmmmmmaybe.

A build 100k at least, nope.

Even if Blockland 2 came out and it required high end specs the people with ancient computers would complain until the game were downgraded enough just so they can play.

Even if Blockland 2 came out and it required high end specs the people with ancient computers would complain until the game were downgraded enough just so they can play.

Blockland 2 would probably (and hopefully) be on a newer engine, which would probably have built-in support for shaders, physics, multi-core rendering and such. Low-ends can cope with that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:57:34 AM by Marios »

Blockland 2 would have a much better optimized renderer and scalable graphics, so it could run on ancient computers and look great on modern ones.

Obviously you'd have server side settings to require specific graphics settings for gamemodes that don't work otherwise.

Blockland 2 would probably (and hopefully) be on a newer engine

What engine would you suggest it uses? I actually haven't seen any engine that integrates modding as well as ancient tork.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:02:12 AM by Zeblote »

As long as it isn't source engine. I like Blockland's add-on system better than Gary's Mod.

Would be nice if we could see what a client's shader setting was set to. Could just kill/kick/drop people from the minigame if they have it set to OFF

As long as it isn't source engine. I like Blockland's add-on system better than Gary's Mod.

You could create a new engine from scratch that does everything blockland needs perfectly, and call it the Brick Engine.

Would be nice if we could see what a client's shader setting was set to. Could just kill/kick/drop people from the minigame if they have it set to OFF

I would be fine with that.

I don't use shaders/shadows when building but when it comes to gamemodes that's when I want to enforce it.

Maybe we can find a way to get pre-baked shadows to work. I doubt it, who knows.