Author Topic: Black Lives Matter hi-jacks orlando shooting morning ceremony.  (Read 46337 times)

Appreciate it, man. Thanks.
Writing giant paragraphs, calling your audience out and telling them why they've been richardheads (in nice words, but the meaning is the same) is not going to convince anybody of anything if you're actually serious about wanting to inspire deep change in people; it's just going to start a nice big argument and nobody is going to "fix" their opinion at all.

You should consider appealing to the audience, rather than scolding them as you did, because you came off as a pretentious and annoying forget-knuckle, and I wouldn't want to support or agree with anybody who speaks like that. Keep It Simple Stupid, Think Before You Speak and Show Don't Tell.

Writing giant paragraphs, calling your audience out and telling them why they've been richardheads (in nice words, but the meaning is the same) is not going to convince anybody of anything if you're actually serious about wanting to inspire deep change in people; it's just going to start a nice big argument and nobody is going to "fix" their opinion at all.

You should consider appealing to the audience, rather than scolding them as you did, because you came off as a pretentious and annoying forget-knuckle, and I wouldn't want to support or agree with anybody who speaks like that. Keep It Simple Stupid, Think Before You Speak and Show Don't Tell.

I'd much rather write a paragraph of real information than spreading my thoughts out in several sentences throughout the thread (Of which, as you said, will die eventually), you know? This isn't an organized sounding board where people can fairly share their opinions; it is, at the end of the day, a forum.

I fully agree with you in that people do not enjoy being scolded as a means of trying to change their mind; it's similar to the effect that yelling at or insulting someone would have, in real life.

With any audience, however, you can only truly appeal to the side that supports your viewpoint. To the opposing side, you can (as I did) respect their opinion, yet still disagree in a kind way. That is the most you can do in that situation.

From the process of this thread, though, and your first response, it is clear that many of those participating in this thread are not taking the subject matter seriously (It's the BLF, as you said.), so for me to act as if I would be treated with the same respect that I (still) gave to others would be naive of me. Even with you, telling me to get my head out of my ass and to stop being an annoying forgettard, at first-- with that level of respect given from you, this debate could not have progressed positively from the get-go.

I really do respect your viewpoint, however it may seem; I am just presenting to you what I believe and have experienced from my own life thus far. There are, of course, no hard feelings surrounding any of this.

It's weird because thats almost exactly what you did in that Zealot thread where he wants to stay up for 48 hours or something like that.

I mean it's not like I disagree (staying up 48 hours arbitrarily is pointless) but how are you gonna tell someone to ditch the nasty attitude when you've got one yourself, lol.

I refuse to read the long posts telling me i should sympathize with jitank

the dude really is an ignorant monday. Like if anything this thread has made me more tribal

from what i've read of his recent posts, they seem to be a mile wide and an inch deep. they have no real substance but he is attempting to appear as the better man by saying as much as possible about as little as possible
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:39:04 PM by Frequency »

It's weird because thats almost exactly what you did in that Zealot thread where he wants to stay up for 48 hours or something like that.
In my first post I basically said that going through with his plan to stay up well beyond healthy hours is a brain-dead move to make. The only questionable line from that post was "This is a stupid idea and you're being a right twat for going on with it.", which implies I'd only consider him an idiot if he didn't evaluate his choices better. A tad too aggressive? Maybe. But it's not an outright "You suck" line because I'm trying to appeal to his intellect and remind him that he should know better.

From that point forward, I wasn't going on to "inspire deep change" because I was under the assumption people are smarter than they were acting. I wasn't trying to make some progressive statement about gender issues or politics; I was simply, clearly reminding people (in yes, an aggressive tone) that it's ridiculous to promote any kind of bodily harm because I'm assuming it's basic common sense.

I don't see how it's the same thing in either case, because the issues are completely different; one argument is dealing with common sense with a very clear general consensus and the other is an issue that runs deep in history and has a lot of people and opinions floating around about.

the dude really is an ignorant monday. Like if anything this thread has made me more tribal

It had nothing to do with sympathizing for jitank's viewpoint on BLM (mainly because others in the thread demonstrated my own viewpoint quite nicely, like SeventhSandwich), but rather the mob-like attitude taken towards him when he was obviously at a disadvantage. Don't associate my views with his views.

his posts in this thread seem to be a mile wide and an inch deep. they have no real substance but he is attempting to appear as the better man by saying as much as possible about as little as possible

I've made three posts with substance in them, and only in the past two pages. It is easy to dismiss someone's opinion when you don't attempt to understand it, and I cannot force you to want to.

In my first post I basically said that going through with his plan to stay up well beyond healthy hours is a brain-dead move to make. The only questionable line from that post was "This is a stupid idea and you're being a right twat for going on with it.", which implies I'd only consider him an idiot if he didn't evaluate his choices better. A tad too aggressive? Maybe. But it's not an outright "You suck" line because I'm trying to appeal to his intellect and remind him that he should know better.
It's not your initial message that was wrong it was your way of dealing with people that generally disagreed. I can't even call that wrong but it goes against what you'd call a convincing argument.
I don't see how it's the same thing in either case, because the issues are completely different; one argument is dealing with common sense with a very clear general consensus and the other is an issue that runs deep in history and has a lot of people and opinions floating around about.
They're not the same in subject matter they're the same in the sense that coming in with a solid opinion yet condescending remarks just makes an argument for people and has an opposite effect anyways. Especially if people are just looking to disagree even though they know it's wrong.

Man, you are being completely negative to the point it actually hurtful. Ive never said such distasteful thing to you nor do i hate you. Yet, you intentionally attack me with heavily insult as if ive done you wrong.

Thanks for explaining the message ive been trying to convey. You've one it much better than I could have.

I mean it's not like I disagree (staying up 48 hours arbitrarily is pointless) but how are you gonna tell someone to ditch the nasty attitude when you've got one yourself, lol.
Idk if this happened or not but what matters is that Evan is maturely approaching this now.

Man, you are being completely negative to the point it actually hurtful. Ive never said such distasteful thing to you nor do i hate you. Yet, you intentionally attack me with heavily insult as if ive done you wrong.
Thanks for explaining the message ive been trying to convey. You've one it much better than I could have.
Idk if this happened or not but what matters is that Evan is maturely approaching this now.

We are all maturely approaching this...

There is no racism.

That's our mature approach. There. Done. Dusted.

We are all maturely approaching this...

There is no racism.

That's our mature approach. There. Done. Dusted.
And to my knowledge, there is.

Despite the facts, we are at a disagreement and I respect your opinion.

dude no why do you want people to die thats stupid and you should feel bad dummy

How loving old are you tho?

from what i've read of his recent posts,

AKA you read nothing you're just butthurt that you got called out

Thanks for explaining the message ive been trying to convey.
"thanks for making my point for me so i can claim it as my own"

How loving old are you tho?

If you just want people to die because they performed some silly action (that does not involve extreme destruction of others, such as genocide or psychological torment) then I think you're twisted, yourself. Wishing death upon others is useless.