No Man's Sky Official Megathread

Author Topic: No Man's Sky Official Megathread  (Read 101287 times)

Your Universe Awaits, Explorer!

Last Updated: August 14th, 2016 at 7:15 AM CST

Brand new NewsCast information!

New category! Review Roundup. Want to see how the game is doing? Check that out, right above NewsCast!

CREDIT

Having little to no experience creating a MegaThread, I had to dig a little deeper into the sand to complete this. Considering the fact that AtlasBlue's and Swat 3's MegaThread went dead almost 2 years ago, I wanted to continue that MegaThread, with newer information and make it more fluid. Since his logo on his MegaThread looked incredible, I decided to borrow that logo for the time being.

What is No Man's Sky?

No Man's Sky is an upcoming game made by Hello Games--consisting of a final team with 13 members on the game--which started development in 2011. Arriving to Playstation on August 9th (US)/August 10th (EU) and Steam on August 12th worldwide. No Man's Sky is set in a UNIVERSE of limitless procedurally generated worlds. Every planet is different, filled with either no life, simple life, or complex life itself. Each planet is one biome (varied greatly) each, making exploring other planets viable. You take on a "humanoid" exploring the universe. The core objective of this game is to get to the center of galaxies and then the universe. However, you don't have to get to the center of the universe to enjoy the game. Fight, trade, explore, salvage, or destroy; the choice is yours in No Man's Sky. Survival is a core aspect of No Man's Sky--even though you won't need to eat food--in the dangerous worlds you travel on.

Survival? What about it?

Survival in No Man's Sky is one of the key aspects to completing the main goal. Whether you're in the outer rim of a galaxy or nearing the center of the universe, surviving and breathing is vastly important. The dire consequences of dying is not so punishing, but it does fiddle with your overall goal. Getting to the universe, you're going to need a hyperdrive, however, if you don't have one, consider your chances on making it slim.

IF YOU DIE ON FOOT = You will lose any discoveries not saved and you will respawn to your last saved game in a base on the planet.

IF YOU DIE IN ORBIT = You will lose any discoveries not saved and you will respawn on the surface of the planet you were in with a crashed ship that you need to repair.

IF YOU DIE IN SPACE = You will lose any discoveries not saved and you will lose your entire ship. If your ship was higher-tiered with a hyperdrive, you will lose that too. Your ship will be replaced with a basic ship and you will respawn to the nearest base in space.

Hostile enemies are present in No Man's Sky. Though, not all creatures are hostile. Every single creature is generated randomly. Their calls/voices are procedurally generated, too! The devs used a special program to generate a sound for the wildlife, based on their neck's shape and length, each creature is different, vocally AND physically! The ones you will encounter when you do some bad stuff are The Sentinels. Sentinels are robot-like creatures that are basically "The Guardians of the Galaxy" (no reference intended). Think of the Sentinels as "the law". As shown in videos, it seems like breaking into bases, killing livestock, and other creatures will activate these Sentinels. The best choice it seems to be is to RUN. Once you see a Sentinel attack you, it's best to get off the planet ASAP. Sentinels all over the planet will hunt you down and they come in all sizes. It's best to evade them than to fight them. Weather plays an important role in No Man's Sky. Cold weather, hot weather, radiation, and toxic levels will kill you if not taken with caution. Acid rain, extreme blizzards, and more can happen and it can be deadly.

Confirmed Game Mechanics

Trading - Collect various resources from planets and trade with alien NPCs! The Galactic Trade Market varies based on what system you are in and what alien NPCs you speak to!

Scanning - Scan animals and locations to add them to your discoveries! You can also scan systems to see if they have been discovered by other players! Be warned; anything discovered not saved when you die or quit the game are lost!

Warping and Ship Boosting - If you got a hyperdrive, you can warp to a planet in close proximity! However, use it wisely as getting it fueled up is tough business! Don't have a hyperdrive yet? No worries. Use PULSE ENERGY to boost your way crazily fast through the universe! You can also do regular boosting if you don't have fuel...

Upgrades - Collect items (resources, elements, etc) and use them to upgrade your suit, weapons, and ship!

Crafting - Collect elements and use them to craft materials for your weapons, suit, and ship! It's not robust, but it's something to take notice to!

Battles - Itching for something to pull your trigger at? No worries. You can shoot anything that moves. Death to all! Though, you might need a little help to do so! Pirates will attack you in space based on your cargo, huge battles are present throughout the universe, and you're in the middle of it![/center]

Weather - From deadly storms to radiation and toxic levels, these are the many dangers that await you.

Multiplayer - You can find other players...well...your chance of finding others is less than 1%. Seeing other players seem to not work when the servers are full! Though, you can see what other players have found!

Companions - Make friends throughout the universe to help you look for items, have them protect you, or just have them aid you in your overall travels!

and a lot more will be added such as Base Building and owning Cargo Freighters! The first update adds a lot of stuff!

Mutiplayer? Where is it?

After Hello Games managed to bypass No Man's Sky by Sony's Playstation Plus subscription service, you probably have been wondering if the game is truly multiplayer. That answer is YES, the game does INDEED support multiplayer! Well sort of...unfortunately. It is definitely possible to encounter other players in the universe. However, considering the fact that the sheer size of this game is, that's unlikely! You can encounter other players playing the game, but it's less than 1% you will likely so! Don't get so down! You will be able to see other planets that other players have discovered and named. However, considering the fact that there is a whopping 18 QUINTILLION REAL-LIFE SIZED PLANETS , that is also unlikely. Fortunately, the developers have confirmed that you will be able to see your friends on the star map, but they might be pretty...far...away. The developers want this game toe feel like you're in a huge universe by "yourself" as in, an actual player. It's extremely tough to know if you encountered a player since they are not marked. So, yes, it's multiplayer, but not really. Two streamers attempted to meet up with each other in the same system and has come to conclude no multiplayer is in the game! Therefore, the only multiplayer features in No Man's Sky is the ability to upload your discoveries and see who discovered a system/planet. Perhaps, multiplayer will be added after Sean talked about probably adding in requested features? Sean has commented on the issue, saying that the servers were overloaded, perhaps we will see another time again?

Pictures and Context

From user StrangeYoungMan on Reddit. "Being on moons is pretty cool", gorgeous shot of another planet on a moon.

From user halfdeafmusic on Reddit. "Throw yo hands in the ayurrrr", plant life of NMS is indeed exotic!

From user Illsonmedia on Reddit. "I made it to the seabed of an ocean planet :)", an awesome shot of the ocean floor of a planet.

From user VaderPrime1 on Reddit. "It's so perfect that it's hard to believe they weren't purposefully placed", this is a view generated, not hand-crafted!

Recent Trailer(s)

Launch Trailer

Videos

For all of your video watching needs, tune into these videos to check out the game!

13 Things No Man's Sky Doesn't Tell You - IGN

11 Things We Wish We Knew When Starting No Man's Sky - Gamespot

No Man's Sky: First 20 Minutes - Gamespot

NO MAN'S SKY - Gameplay and First Impressions - Jackfrags

No Man's Sky: Quick Look - GiantBomb

NO MAN'S SKY - How To Fix Your Ship - Polygon

Social Media

Hello Games Website

Official Game Website (Potential Spoilers!)

"Official" Subreddit (Potential Spoilers!)

My Journey Subreddit (Spoilers!)

Official Game Twitter

Official Hello Games Twitter

Review Roundup

Blockland Forums

72% of users voted the game "average or below".

Steam

67% of users rated the game negatively.

News Cast

Sean Murray on Twitter has confirmed the team is working on compatibility with older drivers for PC.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:14:08 PM by McZealot »

i wholeheartedly agree

No Man's Sky itself is probably going to be mediocre because of a relatively low amount of replay ability. It's novel and it's artistic and it's sure as hell going to be a refreshing experience, but I don't have high hopes of getting too much out of it.

I'm excited about the technology though. I'm willing to bet it's going to be an industry-wide step forward in procedural generation.

The whole concept is based around procedural generation, which only works when the procedural generation is ontop of something with gameplay. I really hope nobody gets hyped for this

A friend of mine is saying how excited he is. I'll let him buy it and see how it is. It seems like it could be fun but get really old really fast.

and then it gets delayed 2 minutes from launch because they forgot to make a actual game

Shores of Hazeron did what this game wanted to do 12 years ago.

I agree with this entirely.

Shores of Hazeron did what this game wanted to do 12 years ago.

WHERE MY HAZERON SQUAD AT

Waiting for a crowbcat video about a year after NMS's release.

Waiting for a crowbcat video about a year after NMS's release.

I could respect the $60 asking price decision if the game actually had gameplay but all it seems to have is just.. exploration. This seems like it should be a $15 game. Don't get me wrong, the technology behind the generation seems to be phenomenal, but you can't make people at $60 for a formula and that's it.

I could respect the $60 asking price decision if the game actually had gameplay but all it seems to have is just.. exploration. This seems like it should be a $15 game. Don't get me wrong, the technology behind the generation seems to be phenomenal, but you can't make people at $60 for a formula and that's it.
reminds me of games that sell at full price but are multiplayer only

eg evolve titanfall stahwers battlefront 3 idk other games here

all of them end up meh or worse in the end
l4d and memewatch has it down right: sell at 30 or less and make sure your multiplayer is clean af
for this, singleplayer needs to be clean af with some sort of motivating factor to come back and continue playing, or else its gonna end up worse than the meh full-price multiplayer-only games.

i hope this form of generic freeroam singleplayer game never catches on cause its really not much fun after you figure out all the mechanics, no matter how beautiful it is
see: reassembly. real fun at first but after you create your perfect fleet its just meh, besides the creativity aspect.
prison architect is like that in a less problematic way due to the complexity behind prisoner ai - there's always something to think about or do no matter how "perfect" your prison is.

prison architect is like that in a less problematic way due to the complexity behind prisoner ai - there's always something to think about or do no matter how "perfect" your prison is.
God, I had a prison that had a ton of prisoners and they were all really content, and then one day they all got really pissed and it confused me.

Maybe if this game actually has replay-ability I'll get it, I know a couple of my friends are strangely hyped for it.