Poll

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: NightHawk's Addons Topic - Locked  (Read 71927 times)

Jesus christ..you really fired a lot of shots there.

that might have been excessive, but it's been a really long time since I critiqued anything

it's combined with the fact that I thought the latest iteration of the Bolt meant you had developed a more critical eye

compared to your most recent models, it just seems rushed, and it seemed like nobody had anything to say about it

you go for very complex curvy vehicles but you seem to skip a lot of the planning for the geometry of curved surfaces

I don't have a comeback nor a comment to say about this. Just a set of blueprints which I had to follow by and go with that flow.

I don't have a comeback nor a comment to say about this. Just a set of blueprints which I had to follow by and go with that flow.
you followed an outline

I recommend considering your vehicle from more than 4 angles

When we make a vehicle for Blockland which is based on a real car, we try to redesign it and adapt it for Blockland's style and proportions, the negative side of only following a blueprint is that, often times both of these things won't be there, and the car will often turn into a low poly version of the real car, instead of a Blockland counterpart, thus mean a lot of round and complex shapes are there, and some areas have more details than it should, Blockland vehicles are simpler than that and the Blockhead size can affect the design, so changes must be made, but not much so it will stay recognizable as the real car.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:28:33 AM by Filipe »

I honestly don't know what to do then potentially scrap it, and start over; it's difficult to edit something complex sometimes.

I think you can still make this a real neat vehicle, but you might need a slightly different approach. It appears that you make each door separately from everything around it, but this is not how a car is realistically designed. I would start by deleting the faces on the sides (which sounds rough, but the outline is still usable). You should try replicating some of the lines on the side of the car (visible in that high contrast image) just drawn as edges. Instead of going in with new faces right away, select important lines that you know are going to need to be straight and consistent, like the top edge of the windows, and draw them in. Then you can add faces, make the whole thing a solid shape, and after the whole side is done, cut out the outlines for the door as the final step. Your half-finished vehicle ought to resemble a carved piece of wood, not half of the finished panels.

This idea might help against discouragement: deletion is not a step backwards but the creation of a space for a second attempt (which in my experience always goes better. It's tempting to make things once and move on, but the thought of "this spot here could be better" and discarding the idea that you need anything you've already put down will give you power)

Keep in mind, too, that Blockheads will fit in an SUV, but that SUV will look weirdly short next to cars that have altered dimensions to fit Blockheads. You (and Filipe!) should consider raising the roof and providing a tall driving position for tall vehicles.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:19:54 PM by Teneksi »

Modern cars can be insanely tricky to make, due their complex surfaces. That's when mesh topology becomes a key issue. Here's a very low poly version of a Jeep Renegade. While most of the details are achieved by using textures here, in the penultimate pic you can see the way the mesh is set up. In spite its low poly nature, you can see some sort of flow. When you model cars, you need to make it flow as well. Not only it makes smooth shading nicer on your model, but also it helps you in the future when it comes to editing parts.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:25:05 PM by Barnabas »

I know this isn't very important to the topic at hand (and you all can put me on blast for it later) but I'd just like to say that the hood and the roof on that low poly Renegade sucks. There's a "lump" before the front fascia that shouldn't be there and the roof isn't high enough (as the windows look like their about to crash into roof itself). And the front fascia is swept back a little bit when it shouldn't be.

"Modern cars can be insanely tricky to make." This, so hard. The trouble with the Renegade is that (as I think you stated) is that there are a ton of surfaces that don't seem friendly for modeling.

(If trying a different method doesn't work, I may be able to make some blueprints that have more angles to them).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:51:58 PM by DodgeViperAcr16 »

All of this advice and wise words have been a massive help, and will be considered. Thank you.

As spring break comes to an end, there will be an update coming out for the Vortex!

Credits to Teneksi for helping me fix the lights. I am now using his 2016 Crown Victoria Lights system, so now the lights should be seen by all users in a multiplayer server. There are new indentations on the doors, roof, and trunks, and also some cleaning up on the doors and sides as well.

I would like to quickly inform that thanks to Planr for noticing this, that I had to adjust some of the coding and model names of the plasma weapons. I was told that they both cause invalid packets on servers, and that should hopefully be fixed in Version 1.1.

If there's still packets, please let me know.

Working to clean and redeem myself, it all makes sense now.

I feel like this has a "flatter" look now comparing to older cars, such as the Euro. Also planning seats.

FCP - Forest Revision 2(View in 3D)

(ignore the weird thumbnail)

What do you think?

That is a huge improvement on the sides, especially the shape of the windows.