Author Topic: banned for clickpushing  (Read 25588 times)

why would you ever try to force people to enjoy a video game the way you want them to enjoy it

it's not cool to continually do some stuff you were told not to do but at the same time why the hell do you have to play the game a fixed way

if you're going to ban people for doing stupid stuff in a game that consists of walking around luigi's mansion for seven minutes and then actually just standing in a circle and telling everybody which ghosts you put back in their portraits for another seven minutes, shouldn't the game just be private or something? i don't see the point of having a game that's basically trying to be "no fun allowed serious business only" public, just password it like that guy who hosted the 100k+ brickcount merps did

So pushing people after a couple (IMO unreasonable) warnings warrants a full on permanent ban for, as you stated, future convenience?

God this server sounds like a drag
To be honest, if someone is going to be a blatant annoyance and doesn't care for the multiple warnings of an administrator.  The administrator permanently removing them so they don't have to deal with their stuff anymore is honestly an okay thing.
Most people are very forgiving so people get used to the "oh i'll get another chance" mindset, so when someone who likes things straightforward and easy typically would get stuff on for making things easy.

quick reminder that being on a server is a privilege, not a right; being annoying and getting told to stop and getting banned for doing so should be expected from the very beginning.

So you're part of the administration yeah? How often do you actually need to ban someone for abusing this mechanic?
Not part of administration whatsoever, just some average dude who played DF a bit ago.

To be honest, if someone is going to be a blatant annoyance and doesn't care for the multiple warnings of an administrator.  The administrator permanently removing them so they don't have to deal with their stuff anymore is honestly an okay thing.
Most people are very forgiving so people get used to the "oh i'll get another chance" mindset, so when someone who likes things straightforward and easy typically would get stuff on for making things easy.

quick reminder that being on a server is a privilege, not a right; being annoying and getting told to stop and getting banned for doing so should be expected from the very beginning.

Having a steady playerbase is also a privilege that is effectively undermined by this sort of powertripping moderation. I hope this Jack dude tries to make a stand alone game like you said and comes to the stark realization that this sort of administration and design philosophy is wholly unsustainable.

Not part of administration whatsoever, just some average dude who played DF a bit ago.
Ah my bad, just curious of the cost vs benefit is of banning people vs figuring out a workaround. I'd personally still ban the OP because he'd probably act out again anyway.

So pushing people after a couple (IMO unreasonable) warnings warrants a full on permanent ban for, as you stated, future convenience?

God this server sounds like a drag
how are the warnings unreasonable?

even though im someone who almost lives by permanent bans, I can kinda see why a perma wasn't necessary. however if i have to tell someone more than once to stop doing something annoying or blatantly being a nuisance (regardless of whatever that action is), they WILL be removed to keep the server in order. whether it be a kick or a ban.

with me, if person repeats offense after being kicked/warned in any way it's a perma. i have a server to run and dont have time to deal with one or two people who want to forget around "just because".
if they come back and blatantly do the same stuff after being kicked, then they're obviously going to just keep doing it so there's really no point in having them on the server at any time just to be a repeat offender

just password it like that guy who hosted the 100k+ brickcount merps did
ayy shoutout to my brother trooper he a real one yknowhaimsayin'

ayy shoutout to my brother trooper he a real one yknowhaimsayin'
that's the boy

noedit: didn't realize that it wasn't a permanent ban, which pretty much kills my point

Having a steady playerbase is also a privilege that is effectively undermined by this sort of powertripping moderation. I hope this Jack dude tries to make a stand alone game like you said and comes to the stark realization that this sort of administration and design philosophy is wholly unsustainable.
It's not exactly powertripping.  Rules exist to maintain order.  In a serious gamemode like DF, there pretty much needs to be some sort of order to maintain the atmosphere and seriousness of it all; without order it's pretty much just a forget fest with an objective.  
Razer gave out warnings, and You clearly ignored them.  Razer could have banned You outright but instead gave him a few "hey don't do that,"'s, in order to prevent him from getting banned and to prevent him from ruining the experiences of others.

how are the warnings unreasonable?

even though im someone who almost lives by permanent bans, I can kinda see why a perma wasn't necessary. however if i have to tell someone more than once to stop doing something annoying or blatantly being a nuisance (regardless of whatever that action is), they WILL be removed to keep the server in order. whether it be a kick or a ban.

I dunno, I've run a good plenty of servers in my time and I've gone through bad admins. I get the feeling that the admin who banned OP was looking for reasons to get ridda OP after he jokingly said he murdered somebody and OP is just stubborn enough to challenge the click pushing thing and it rubs me the wrong way.

Plus, I just don't see how it's that big of a deal to warrant two subsequent warnings and then a permanent ban. Just doesn't seem like a reasonable escalation of force for the act committed.

being a nuisance (regardless of whatever that action is)
This is essentially what my argument boils down to. Sure the mechanic is stuff, it should be changed etc. OP was a nuisance and could have approached this in a way that didn't lead to himself getting banned. Fair warning was given, he continued, and was dealt with. Happy days.

I dunno, I've run a good plenty of servers in my time and I've gone through bad admins. I get the feeling that the admin who banned OP was looking for reasons to get ridda OP after he jokingly said he murdered somebody and OP is just stubborn enough to challenge the click pushing thing and it rubs me the wrong way.

Plus, I just don't see how it's that big of a deal to warrant two subsequent warnings and then a permanent ban. Just doesn't seem like a reasonable escalation of force for the act committed.
Ban wasn't permanent, sorry for being an autismo

Ban wasn't permanent, sorry for being an autismo

No problems man, there wasn't any time on the ban so I just thought it was permanent.

Yeah I can see a few minute ban being reasonable if OP had been going around doing stuff, but there's really not much info to make a judgement here.

No problems man, there wasn't any time on the ban so I just thought it was permanent.

Yeah I can see a few minute ban being reasonable if OP had been going around doing stuff, but there's really not much info to make a judgement here.
I assumed it was permanent as well, I also misread Razer's post earlier about it.

I think any kind of ban was justified imo, mainly because of the ignored warnings.

I think this pretty much wraps it up, sorry for acting on offhand info that I assumed at some parts.

Yeah my discord convo pretty much reflects how I feel about this.
There's forgetloads of misinformation (and I might've called you people stupid - sorry, i dont really mean it), so really, the whole point is - You was acting like a richard, was told to stop being a richard, decided to sass to admins and keep on being a richard and he got banned for being a richard. Clickpushing really has nothing to even do with it.

Ah, that pretty much clears it up then, I guess.