Which CRP server was the best?

Yorktown95 Mar 2012
Wink Jul 2012
Furdle Aug 2012
Jasa Feb 2013
Yorktown95 Jun 2013
Yorktown95 Apr 2014
CRP2 July 2019

Author Topic: CRP2 - Update Pg8  (Read 70231 times)

someone can come at you with a knife and if you shoot them with an automatic weapon it leaves behind 80 bits of evidence that are impossible to clean up but if you get hit you get one shot

on the other side, killing someone with a car is not murder and you can do it as much as you want
More bullets = more evidence, just like IRL. Spend more money on better weapons if you want to leave behind less evidence.

Also running over people counts as murder and drops evidence just I just checked it. It won't drop evidence if the person being run over is wanted or if they did enough damage for self defense to kick in.
you cant pay your own dems
You can at the police terminal.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:23:19 PM by DurkaDude »

More bullets = more evidence, just like IRL. Spend more money on better weapons if you want to leave behind less evidence.

Also running over people counts as murder and drops evidence just I just checked it. It won't drop evidence if the person being run over is wanted or if they did enough damage for self defense to kick in.You can at the police terminal.
hm, didn't seem to make them wanted looking at someone running people over and dialing when it happened but ok
still doesn't solve the issue that someone can approach you with a one shot weapon and either you die or you're wanted for 10 ticks/have to pay dems (dems paying doesn't show up if you don't have cash on hand and many ATMs are exposed to sniper fire)
also if you're an officer and down someone they can still shoot you because you have to melee to cuff

Server has been closed for maintenance but will be back up in a week. This is both because I'm going out of town for several days for work and I want to fix some issues with the mod. Some of the minor issues/bugs are related to joining/leaving a company, market listings, and manufacturing. However the bigger issue that seems to be killing off the server quicker than expected is the stagnant economy.

I designed the economy based around the usual cops and robbers shenanigans that previous CityRPG's were based on but it appears either crime doesn't pay well enough or the playerbase has shrunk enough that most of the problem players that usually rampaged cities aren't around anymore. People aren't buying weapons which means nobody's manufacturing which means nobody's buying resources and so on.

I've thought of a few ways to make being a criminal more rewarding:
1) Remove the cash penalty when getting jailed and reward cops through tax-dollars
2) Allow jail time to reduce when not on the server but at a reduced rate
3) Remove perks that penalize criminals such as louder deaths, not dropping resources on death, etc
4) Adjust radius checks so that evidence is dropped more often and can also be cleaned up quicker

I doubt I'll add all the above things but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.

remove not dropping resources on death as a perk and make it default

remove not dropping resources on death as a perk and make it default
How about just don't die?

Server is back up.

im sorry i did not think of that

reminder that jailing, despite being one of the single worst features of city rpgs, is actually the aspect of city rpgs that content creators work on the least

2) Allow jail time to reduce when not on the server but at a reduced rate
how about you make it so jail time reduces at 10000 ticks a second so 'being forced to do nothing for 5 minutes' isn't an actual game mechanic

wtf are you talking about my favorite part of cityrpg is when i'm sitting in some ugly build for half an hour as my punishment for having fun

also "just avoid being jailed" bruh i can't loving clean up the 500 evidence items you vomited on the floor if the loving cleanup time is 1% per year

jailing is necessary to ensure that people can feel safe on the streets

Not my fault if you stuffty criminals can't avoid getting jailed. Pay off your demerits if you have to.

Not my fault if you stuffty criminals can't avoid getting jailed. Pay off your demerits if you have to.
imagine 'stopping people from having fun' being an actual mechanic in your gamemode

just remove jails. they disincentivize people from actually playing the game. you want to incentivize people to play your game. replace jails with a fine for 50% of your net worth that you can get back if you plan some sort of elaborate heist of the bank. now you just incentivized criminals to actually get themselves arrested just so they can be incentivized to commit more crime which gives cops the incentive to do actually guard a location

there's no reason to force people to sit and do nothing for an arbitrary amount of time. that goes against all game design principles ever conceived
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 01:09:16 AM by PhantOS »

imagine 'stopping people from having fun' being an actual mechanic in your gamemode
criminal activity also has 'stopping people from having fun', of course there will be consequences.

just remove jails. they disincentivize people from actually playing the game.
so does constantly killing innocent people in the server, and anyone who is disincentivize enough to quit because of the long ass jail times are the people who find a knife on the ground and do nothing but RDM

replace jails with a fine for 50% of your net worth that you can get back if you plan some sort of elaborate heist of the bank. now you just incentivized criminals to actually get themselves arrested just so they can be incentivized to commit more crime which gives cops the incentive to do actually guard a location
this only works for habitual crime-makers, it sounds like this can devolve into

get arrested for shooting up downtown -> gov't takes my bike -> lmao it's just my bike
or
get arrested for shooting up downtown -> gov't repossesses my house -> oh stuff I like my house -> get arrested for a failed heist -> 50% of my net worth remains -> repeat from underline
or
get arrested for hitting someone with a stick -> gov't repossesses my house -> oh stuff I like my house, but I don't want a life of crime -> lose my house forever because I'm not very good at being a criminal and can't perform a heist and I don't want to have a life of crime

You could argue that "it's just a game so it doesn't have to be realistic" but CRP2 is built on the premise of some real-life mechanics and jailing is one of them. If you took out jailing then it wouldn't make sense in retrospect with the other things.

there's no reason to force people to sit and do nothing for an arbitrary amount of time. that goes against all game design principles ever conceived
nobody is being forced to do that, while I do think that jail is boring as forget most times, you can always talk to other people in jail...

If there was a way to escape or have someone break me out of jail I would feel a lot less bored considering I have some more things to do in jail

You can get away with crimes if you clean up the evidence
You can pay off your demerits to reduce your jail time
People can break you out of your cuffs when you're being arrested
When people get you down, you can still shoot at them until you bleed out
You have an entire city you can hide to avoid arrest in
Cops have to literally carry you to the police department to make the arrest
You (hopefully) have a gun that can fire unlimited bullets whereas cops can only handcuff you with a melee item that takes almost a dozen hits to do so
When you do go to jail you can still mine resources and sell them for money for your next killing spree
People can pardon you from jail.

I'm sorry if I don't want to make the server a DM with money. Make use of the features in place to avoid serving a full prison sentence.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:26:44 PM by DurkaDude »

criminal activity also has 'stopping people from having fun', of course there will be consequences.
so does constantly killing innocent people in the server, and anyone who is disincentivize enough to quit because of the long ass jail times are the people who find a knife on the ground and do nothing but RDM
this only works for habitual crime-makers, it sounds like this can devolve into

get arrested for shooting up downtown -> gov't takes my bike -> lmao it's just my bike
or
get arrested for shooting up downtown -> gov't repossesses my house -> oh stuff I like my house -> get arrested for a failed heist -> 50% of my net worth remains -> repeat from underline
or
get arrested for hitting someone with a stick -> gov't repossesses my house -> oh stuff I like my house, but I don't want a life of crime -> lose my house forever because I'm not very good at being a criminal and can't perform a heist and I don't want to have a life of crime

You could argue that "it's just a game so it doesn't have to be realistic" but CRP2 is built on the premise of some real-life mechanics and jailing is one of them. If you took out jailing then it wouldn't make sense in retrospect with the other things.
nobody is being forced to do that, while I do think that jail is boring as forget most times, you can always talk to other people in jail...

If there was a way to escape or have someone break me out of jail I would feel a lot less bored considering I have some more things to do in jail
1) the problem is that the cops and robbers dynamic is completely at odds with the block city esque pacifist rpg where you build houses and sell stuff to people for no reason. one aspect completely revolves around killing people and the other aspect is basically designed without killing in mind. in this twisted and terrible flawed dynamic, criminals exist in the lowest circle of hell, the area that everyone is trying to avoid because being a criminal means that the meta is not playing the game. because if you do play the game you'll be arrested and sentenced to 5 minutes of doing nothing. cops are the exact same thing as criminals except they have the power to arrest people. they spawn with guns, have the same capacity to kill people as criminal jobs, but they get to have fun. because their meta is to arrest people.

if you look at all other games, they are centered around having fun. but criminals are centered around self control and stopping yourself from having fun, because the moment you try to do what your very job was designed to do, you are digging yourself a 5-20 minute grave of being sentenced to have absolutely no fun while you... hold on im gonna bold this because its a big word

W A I T

to continue playing the game.

2) its not called realism, it's called selectively emulating the worst and least enjoyable parts of real life and calling that realism. why do people drop $50 for no reason when their wallet is empty? why do people spawn with guns? why can drugs be reused over and over? obviously there's stuff that isn't properly emulated in real life because it's a video game and things have to be abstracted in order to balance the game out. so why can't prison be abstracted out? it's obviously the least enjoyable part OF THE GAME so why can't it be made better with temporary money losses so you have the option to actually act and get your stuff back?

like the whole bank heist idea only strengthens the cops and robbers meta, and if you don't want that already loving bastardized and neutered aspect of the game to be improved then just remove the entire thing then

You can get away with crimes if you clean up the evidence
You can pay off your demerits to reduce your jail time
People can break you out of your cuffs when you're being arrested
When people get you down, you can still shoot at them until you bleed out
You have an entire city you can hide to avoid arrest in
Cops have to literally carry you to the police department to make the arrest
You (hopefully) have a gun that can fire unlimited bullets whereas cops can only handcuff you with a melee item that takes almost a dozen hits to do so
When you do go to jail you can still mine resources and sell them for money for your next killing spree
People can pardon you from jail.

I'm sorry if I don't want to make the server a DM with money. Make use of the features in place to avoid serving a full prison sentence.
I'm going to make a video game where you can take a stuff on the floor.

you can clean it up, you can pick it up and throw it at people, you can build an immense contraption to convert your waste into biofuel and save humanity. you can paint a picture with your own feces.

Now that i've described the central mechanics of my game, how about I one up myself: why not make a game where you don't stuff on the floor? where instead you build a rocket to space, and you can perform intense orbital maneuvers, dock and build space ships, travel to the farthest corners of the galaxy and back.

I just turned 'stuff on the floor simulator' into 'Kerbal space program'. All it took was changing the mechanic to something that wasn't stuffty, and adding features that improved the mechanic. In the end, adding features to literal defecating on the floor doesn't make it less disgusting, it just makes one wonder why they decided to take a stuff on the floor in the first place. maybe instead of glorifying the massive dump on the marble floor that is city rpg's jail system with various stupid ways to basically avoid encountering the immensely stupid mechanic in the first place, how about you make a mechanic that is fun and add features that make you want to explore the mechanic, not avoid it?

like jesus loving christ, you listed 10 different ways to avoid the problem they are designed around. if you don't want a money based DM then remove the loving guns and you'll be left with a money based waiting game. stop trying to justify terrible mechanics that are at odds with each other and just remove the terrible mechanics. it's like those stuffty city rps where there's 40000 guns on the server but if you use even one you'll get banned for rdming. like, why not just REMOVE THE GUNS IN THE FIRST PLACE? if killing people is antithetical to the meta of the gamemode, then just make it so you can't kill people. if killing people is PART of the game, then loving stop making mechanics that stop you from doing something that is PART OF THE GAME
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:58:55 PM by PhantOS »