Which CRP server was the best?

Yorktown95 Mar 2012
Wink Jul 2012
Furdle Aug 2012
Jasa Feb 2013
Yorktown95 Jun 2013
Yorktown95 Apr 2014
CRP2 July 2019

Author Topic: CRP2 - Update Pg8  (Read 70228 times)

its 2019. city rpg has been around for 10-11 years now and even a decade later people still continue to make the game worse by adding bells and whistles to the most awful aspects of the gamemode. and they wonder why it's one of the worst servers in history. removing jail would improve the game so much and everyone knows it
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:11:30 PM by PhantOS »

i'm glad there's someone else that thinks making the player wait 5 years because they had too much fun is not actual game design
also, cleaning up evidence takes 500 years for every single one of the 100 evidence items scattered on the floor jesus christ

1) the problem is that the cops and robbers dynamic is completely at odds with the block city esque pacifist rpg where you build houses and sell stuff to people for no reason. one aspect completely revolves around killing people and the other aspect is basically designed without killing in mind. in this twisted and terrible flawed dynamic, criminals exist in the lowest circle of hell, the area that everyone is trying to avoid because being a criminal means that the meta is not playing the game. because if you do play the game you'll be arrested and sentenced to 5 minutes of doing nothing. cops are the exact same thing as criminals except they have the power to arrest people. they spawn with guns, have the same capacity to kill people as criminal jobs, but they get to have fun. because their meta is to arrest people.

if you look at all other games, they are centered around having fun. but criminals are centered around self control and stopping yourself from having fun, because the moment you try to do what your very job was designed to do, you are digging yourself a 5-20 minute grave of being sentenced to have absolutely no fun while you... hold on im gonna bold this because its a big word

W A I T

to continue playing the game.
good point here, I can see cityrpg games being more fun and much more productive if crime was not a thing. Most people criticize the criminal part of the game (especially drugs) and leave the economical part untouched) so crime is just a tumor.

2) its not called realism, it's called selectively emulating the worst and least enjoyable parts of real life and calling that realism. why do people drop $50 for no reason when their wallet is empty? why do people spawn with guns? why can drugs be reused over and over? obviously there's stuff that isn't properly emulated in real life because it's a video game and things have to be abstracted in order to balance the game out. so why can't prison be abstracted out? it's obviously the least enjoyable part OF THE GAME so why can't it be made better with temporary money losses so you have the option to actually act and get your stuff back?

like the whole bank heist idea only strengthens the cops and robbers meta, and if you don't want that already loving bastardized and neutered aspect of the game to be improved then just remove the entire thing then
My point was that jail is "based on the premise of real-life events" (not realism) meaning "jail exists because jail exists in real life," and that is probably why jail has never been abstracted like you say. If you just removed jail then criminals will just keep terrorizing the streets forever because cops are only able to react, and not prevent criminals from committing crimes. Cops are never given a break. The heist system you mentioned could be effective, but I don't see it working to well like with those scenarios I created. Jail is effective (to some extent) because it keeps troublemakers off the streets for at least some time. You can't punish someone until the crime has been done. I've seen more people complain about criminals wasting their time rather than criminals having their time wasted from jail.

i argued with phantos and its ok now. he loves cityrpgs and wants jailing to also give you a criminal record and make it impossible to find another job on release

i've sat down and spoken with all of the world's great leaders at a UN conference the other day. after much discussion we have officially decided to make jails illegal. all jails are now punishable by 7-12 years of jail time

sounds fine to me, I'll just make a prison

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:53:21 PM by DurkaDude »

After a few months off I've started back up again on coding this. I quickly realized this server wasn't near as popular as previous CRP's and died off a lot quicker than anticipated and believe I have identified major flaws with the server and will be working to fix them before the next one.

1) Server was hard to get into - On previous CRP's you could join without the required client add-on but you would be unable to interact with certain things and the HUD would not show up.
Problem: People were unable to join without the client which probably turned away a significant amount of players. Not only do a large portion of newer Steam users probably not know where their add-ons folder is, but even with the client installed there was a small chance you would still get booted due to an issue with the handshaking while joining.
Solution: The client will be completely optional from henceforth to play on the server. You will be able to join the server, spawn, and play as regular just with more chat-based menus and a bottom-print as a HUD. The client will still be recommended for regular play but people can "try out" the server before they go through the effort/inconvenience of downloading the client.

2) Stagnant economy, nothing to do - Active gameplay was tied to the economy and people didn't really have a reason to spend money on anything
Problem: The economy revolved almost solely on crime and crime was not rewarding or profitable for the criminals, thus leading to a stagnant economy. Weapon stores eventually filled up with unsold stock leading to a surplus of resources with no buyers essentially rendering over half the jobs on the server with no real purpose. Since the server was harder to get into as a result of a required client, you had significantly less RDM'ers and nearly all criminals were just bored people with lots of money to blow on killing sprees.
Solution: Make crime more rewarding and add more parts to the economy that don't revolve around crime.
Adding company-owned banks not only allows the opportunity for wealthy players to make money off of giving out loans but also opens up the opportunity for one of the most rewarding crimes of all: Heists
Heists will give groups of criminals the opportunity to make large sums of money off of crime as well as give the cops something to work together for and stock up on firearms for.
Adding farming and food will also force people to spend money regularly and open up an entire new range of lot types, businesses, and jobs. Hunger was essentially stripped from the mod so I could focus on the other features but hopefully now that I've beta tested the mod's other features I can give it a proper farming and hunger system that it's been needing for over a decade. Adding an illegal type of farming in the form of drugs will also give the criminals something to do in their free time other than mass-murdering half of the server. Collecting taxes that can also be redistributed as welfare will give poorer players a way to make money, even if no company is hiring.

3) Gameplay was generally unpolished and confusing - A lot of the features of the mod were not well explained and a lot of features were hidden behind menus/commands. I didn't put enough time into polishing up the gameplay and relied heavily on beta testers to pass on their knowledge to new players. In the future I will make things more self explanatory, add some guides on how to play, improve the help menus, and set up things so you don't need to rely on other player's knowledge as much.

In short, here are the upcoming features for the next server:
Player-operated banks and loans
Farming
Drugs
Heists and safe-cracking
Taxes/welfare
Mayoral system
Universal storage system?

One thing I also want to try out is a universal storage system where resources and money aren't stored as a number in a database and instead are all physically stored physically somewhere in the city. Some examples:
Your bank funds are stored in a vault in the bank company's basement
Items that are manufactured have to be moved the lot they are being sold from
Building on a lot will automatically deduct that lumber from your safe inside the lot
Cash received from events are stored inside a cash register/safe in the same lot as the event
Items, money, and cash can be stored inside of vehicles that, when blown up, drop what's inside

If you have any thoughts or suggestions please let me know.

Your universal storage idea sounds like a pain, does make sense though but if you're going to update with all of this other stuff seems like waiting on that would be easier anyway and people/you can decide if they would want that while actually playing on the server as it is.

your server is as cool as it was when you first made it, its just blockland thats dead

:.(

Would anybody be interested in playing a server running the "classic" version of the mod from 2013?

Would anybody be interested in playing a server running the "classic" version of the mod from 2013?

yeah man ofc crp is dope