Author Topic: Blockyard - What the hell?  (Read 16993 times)

Whatever you do, don't imitate minecraft textures. Once you do that all the dopes who play minecraft will flame it non stop.
They'll flame it nonstop even if he didn't use minecraft textures.

This seems promising.

I'm making a server.
Username: Legodude77
Password: blockland

It's down :(

It wouldn't let me connect when it was up :/

It looks nice. However the fact everything is binded to keys is a huge turn off, for me at least.
I think it would be much nicer if you had say a set of tools to scroll through, each tool representing one of the current key binded tools, and to use a selected tool you could have one action button, or simply use the mouse left/right click. One of these tools could also be used to bind motors and whatnot to keys using a menu to remove the slash commands which are less then intuitive.

I don't know if this is already suggested or if you have it planned. Just throwing around ideas.

I'm guessing multiplayer doesn't work right now?

What is the first thing you'd improve?

The strange ground collision bug issue. It only happens when there are entities on the map such as blocks or the flashlight. Sometimes the player falls through both objects and ground on spawn having an infinite portal like event where you place a portal on the ceiling and floor.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:03:33 PM by Riot »

It looks nice. However the fact everything is binded to keys is a huge turn off, for me at least.
I think it would be much nicer if you had say a set of tools to scroll through, each tool representing one of the current key binded tools, and to use a selected tool you could have one action button, or simply use the mouse left/right click. One of these tools could also be used to bind motors and whatnot to keys using a menu to remove the slash commands which are less then intuitive.

I don't know if this is already suggested or if you have it planned. Just throwing around ideas.

Yes, that is moving up the priority list.  In the initial version of the game, there was only axles and block and only two keys.  As we've added more and more things, using keys to initiate things as become too much to remember.  Likely we will move to a toolbar where the user selects an object and simply clicks to place it.

Yes, that is moving up the priority list.  In the initial version of the game, there was only axles and block and only two keys.  As we've added more and more things, using keys to initiate things as become too much to remember.  Likely we will move to a toolbar where the user selects an object and simply clicks to place it.
Sounds great.
Another idea may be a type of connection that can be placed on the ends of blocks and when activated would connect itself to the adjacent block, and when deactivated would release it.

I actually made a little jumping puzzle, might post pictures later. Also, you might want to consider making this a full on game. Its really fun so far.

This game is more fun than Blockland.

I actually made a little jumping puzzle, might post pictures later. Also, you might want to consider making this a full on game. Its really fun so far.

Thanks, glad to hear it.  Really need to get a forum up on Blockyard so players can share their creations.

Hey, fire, how exactly did you find this topic/forum? :o

Hey, fire, how exactly did you find this topic/forum? :o

I doubt that fireshark is who he says he is.