Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS  (Read 271713 times)

[img]http://puu.sh/1dqUN/img]

IRL friends SSTO spaceplane. Gets into orbit with plentttty of fuel for maneuvers and can be landed anywher on kerbin easily. Also looks lovey.
Completely stock.
Download link?

2 ships orbiting the sun, 1 orbiting the moon, 4 orbiting kerbal, 2 sattelites (mod) orbiting kerbal and 1 ship is on crash course on the sun. :D total: 26 succesfull liftoffs

2 ships orbiting the sun, 1 orbiting the moon, 4 orbiting kerbal, 2 sattelites (mod) orbiting kerbal and 1 ship is on crash course on the sun. :D total: 26 succesfull liftoffs
Kerbol is the star, Kerbin is the planet. Kerbals are the Self Delete pilots astronauts.

Liftoff is the easy bit. Much easier that putting something in orbit around the Mun.

On that note, putting a ship in orbit around the Mun at ~5km makes for a nice scenic view. If you position it right you won't hit any of the mountains either :)

99 pages and Tony ain't on one
Hit me
ONTOPIC: This game is loving amazing. Seriously.
Spend your manies on it.

Skunky is community manager again?

I've been working on a ground vehicle missile launcher.
The flight path of the missile is the hardest part, but I've gotten it to land 5km (smooth flight) from where I fired it. (Press the ] key after you launch the missile to move the camera to it as it flies, when it hits the ground, look back at the distance from your missile launcher/ship thing)

Will anyone try to top that?

I've been working on a ground vehicle missile launcher.
The flight path of the missile is the hardest part, but I've gotten it to land 5km (smooth flight) from where I fired it. (Press the ] key after you launch the missile to move the camera to it as it flies, when it hits the ground, look back at the distance from your missile launcher/ship thing)

Will anyone try to top that?
What mod/plugin?

-----

Finally landed on Duna!

Actually I crashed into it at high velocity with a very large vehicle and somehow most of the landing module was intact. Lost the DMEV though...I really want to drive an exploration vehicle around another planet but the damn thing makes any rocket incredibly unstable and makes a non-powered landing almost impossible without it just breaking off and smashing into the ground whilst the kerbals float down safely. Might just have to mechjeb it there :/

What mod/plugin?

-----

Finally landed on Duna!

Actually I crashed into it at high velocity with a very large vehicle and somehow most of the landing module was intact. Lost the DMEV though...I really want to drive an exploration vehicle around another planet but the damn thing makes any rocket incredibly unstable and makes a non-powered landing almost impossible without it just breaking off and smashing into the ground whilst the kerbals float down safely. Might just have to mechjeb it there :/
No mods/plugins. =P

If the capsule survived, props to you man, that's really hard to pull off. I did the same thing on Eve, but the atmosphere slowed me down much more than it would on Duna.

Holy stuff.
Smoothest flying plane I've ever made, first attempt (not the first launch though!)
Design idea from: Birds.

IT FLAPS AS IT FLIES. (Accidentally destroyed the engine after take-off, so this was taken while gliding)
But wow man.
If I make improvements to this to make it easy to use for everyone, I'll post the craft file.

*Edit*
After further testing. It seems to just be a master glider. But isn't very good with flight, it's difficult to control.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:13:32 AM by J MASTER »

Just provide it as it is. I've never managed to make a glider that works even vaguely successfully.

-----

Saw the name "Blockland" on the KSP forums. I'm guessing that is someone from here :O

Any tips for getting a good orbit? Mine always end up having one side bigger than the other.

Just provide it as it is. I've never managed to make a glider that works even vaguely successfully.
http://www.mediafire.com/?y9iqqyukrv65kac
Drop that file into \\KSP_win\saves\AccountName\Ships\SPH

How to fly:
1: Turn SAS on.
2: Turn throttle up below the first white line.
3: Launch the stage.
4: Keep it in the middle of the runway.
The next steps are activated very quickly when you approach the very end of the runway.
5: Pull up.
6: Launch the next stage.
7: Deactivate SAS.

I'd recommend using SAS again after you're in the air to stabilize, along with shutting down the engine to get into a glide.

Any tips for getting a good orbit? Mine always end up having one side bigger than the other.
Boost 30 seconds before you reach your apoapsis.
Make sure your apoapsis is above 80km.
And logic stuff. Orbital tutorials.

Damn that's hard to control...

Fun once it stops flipping over though :)

Aha yea.
I'm not sure what sort of plane to make next.

After killing off Jeb a few rockets ago he appeared again in my craft designed for a trip around Kerbol and back to Kerbin so I went round the star as intended, got in line with and encountered Kerbin and immediately after entering Kerbin's SOI found myself travelling, at considerable speed, into the path of Mun. This ship was designed to fly back into the SOI, change the path a little in the case of missing, and then parachute safely back where ever it ended up. Instead I decided to attempt a Mun landing with 1 small engine.

That went suprisingly successfully, except that Jebediah was now (and still is) stranded on the Kerbin-facing side of the Mun, so I sent up a 3-crew rescue rocket. That should have been easier but to cut a long story short I failed to get rid of all the horizontal velocity on landing, flipped the craft and it exploded leaving just the crew pod inconveniently stranded over 140km from the Kerbal I intended to rescue. I then looked around hopelessly because no amount of EVA fuel can go that far, and saw a 'thing' on the horizon. Using up all the EVA fuel I had in a disposable Kerbal (I had Bill, Bob and this random guy in the rescue pod) I flew towards this 'thing' and it turned out to be the arch Munolith :D

Mission success :D Disposable kerbal is now a marker point for a hidden structure and I'll humourously murder him later when I get a rocket there. Anyway, he's 22.7km from the rescue craft with 8% fuel left.