Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425230 times)

The sign IS floating.
Wrong. If you look closely you can see there is a transparent round brick at the bottom of the sign where it connects to the baseplate.

If all our maps must be made of bricks, chances are we'll be hitting the brick limit before we get close to finishing the base map.

The brick limit now is still a lot of bricks. You'd have to put a lot of detail into the terrain to hit the brick limit before you get a map halfway done.

What kind of support are mappers going to be given once the update passes?
Right now it feels like mapping is going to be off limits and we'd be stuck with a bunch of generic slate edits.

The brick limit now is still a lot of bricks. You'd have to put a lot of detail into the terrain to hit the brick limit before you get a map halfway done.
plus, when i can, i'll be trying to make landscape baseplates.

Right now it feels like mapping is going to be off limits and we'd be stuck with a bunch of generic slate edits.

I don't know, what's left once you aren't making terrains or interiors?

If you read the thread that's basically what it comes down to.

Why was my post deleted?  I just made a simple suggestion that could let people build with worrying about the brick limit.

What was the suggestion again? -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:40:20 PM by kompressor »

plus, when i can, i'll be trying to make landscape baseplates.

That sounds like a cool idea.

As said a few times before, terrain and interiors weren't everything in mission editor.

Sculpt far-stretching landscapes out of bricks for people to build on and release those.

i'm not going to worry about terrain or any of that until this update is done. once i actually run into a problem, i will become more active on it. still going to come up with more ideas for the brick terrain thing though.

Why was my post deleted?  I just made a simple suggestion that could let people build with worrying about the brick limit.

What was the suggestion again? -- kompressor
I suggested that Shadows and Shaders be, by default, activated in Slate maps and deactived when in a Interior and Terrain Map.  

It doesn't work that way, and a dozen people have suggested it already. I'll delete future people who suggest that. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:45:12 PM by kompressor »

Actually, I kind of like the idea of being able to save builds and convert them into some kind of map on slate that doesn't use up the brick-count.

Although I don't think that's what they're looking for.

That sounds like a great fantasy, no idea how it will avoid using up brick count. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:44:24 PM by kompressor »

Will there be any sort of public testing before the release to ensure that it will run fine before it goes live?

See OP. It will be off by default for a while while we test it. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:45:33 PM by kompressor »

That sounds like a great fantasy, no idea how it will avoid using up brick count. -- kompressor
Making it all into one mesh with dynamic collision would be lovey.

Vehicles have a terrible habit of smashing into bricks and getting stuck. Is that something you plan on fixing, since everything is going to be bricks now? I heard you were basically remastering physics too, so yeah?

Eventually this would be great but it might not happen at the same time shadows go in. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:46:39 PM by kompressor »