GSF Modular Terrain (4x Pack on RTB, please redownload)

Poll

Should the terrain bricks be able to use all 2x2 flat prints, or be restricted to ModTer prints?

Use all 2x2 flat print packs (more versatile)
27 (69.2%)
Be restricted to ModTer print packs (limits overwhelming the print GUI)
12 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: GSF Modular Terrain (4x Pack on RTB, please redownload)  (Read 141435 times)

Everything looks beautiful. Hopefully you can make a script that saves a chunk as a .bls and then loads it when the player enters an adjacent chunk or somewhere farther and then saves chunks as .bls when a player gets too far away. That would help with brick count and such. I am still looking forward to islands as well, but keep up the good work!
And this would be unlike minecraft how?
Point is it's pretty darn intensive to load things like that. It's DEFINITELY not the best way to handle that.

You JUST learn't torquescript and you already have a beautiful terrain generator?

wat

Hope to see the generator soon. I like it!

chunk generator and moTer generator pack separate complete or what?
They will be included as one Add-On; there will be an option in the GUI for using ModTer.

Everything looks beautiful. Hopefully you can make a script that saves a chunk as a .bls and then loads it when the player enters an adjacent chunk or somewhere farther and then saves chunks as .bls when a player gets too far away. That would help with brick count and such. I am still looking forward to islands as well, but keep up the good work!
Hope to see the generator soon. I like it!
Thanks guys :) And I was thinking (if I use a culling system) to have a script that only saves and loads chunks that are altered, otherwise it refers back to the algorithm. I will only do this for the infinite generator though, which I will work on later.

You JUST learn't torquescript and you already have a beautiful terrain generator?

wat
I have some previous experience with JavaScript so it wasn't too difficult to adapt to Torque Script lol.

Options for terrain-boundaries and "smart" water-brick placement have been added.

They will be included as one Add-On; there will be an option in the GUI for using ModTer.
Thanks guys :) And I was thinking (if I use a culling system) to have a script that only saves and loads chunks that are altered
don't save the terrain, only the blocks that are placed in the chunk
and since the terrain will be generated the same again, check if theres any blocks saved for the chunk and then load them

don't save the terrain, only the blocks that are placed in the chunk
and since the terrain will be generated the same again, check if theres any blocks saved for the chunk and then load them
But what if people are modifying the terrain?
Make sure the culling system is optional.

I think you should stick with making the terrain with your sloped bricks and steer clear of minecraft like terrain.
That way people can walk around your terrain without having to jump all the time, and vehicles would work as well.  the picture you had awhile back had the slopes working.

There will be options in the GUI for choosing the height-scale and type, so you will be able to generate full-scale/MineCraft-esque terrain, sloped terrain, ModTer terrain, etc. I've just been posting pics of the full-scale terrain because I've been working with it mostly.

Does it use larger bricks as well (x16, x32, x64)? Or only small bricks (x4 / x8)? It would be good for the brickcount if it used large bricks where applicable.
And could you add an option to just have an outer shell of bricks, floating in the air?

Trial and error later, i got a minecraft esque terrain algorithm
I will code it then pics later.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:25:47 AM by Perlin Noise »

Click for fullsized img.

also, this is a really small generation for the sake of testing. I'll show bigger ones as I go on. (this is minecraft-esque terrain)