Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 352219 times)

Thanks for the bug report, I really need to make sure everything resets cleanly if you exit no matter what.

Speaking of game over screen, what kind of stats and info would you guys like on that screen?

I should probably get to actually adding that now lol.

the usual can't hurt.

runtime, deaths (for multiplayer, duh), monsters killed, gold collected, potions/scrolls used, shopkeepers angered, chickens/feathers used...

maybe compare each player's individual stats (like kills, potion/scroll/fountain/staff/rune effects, items, deaths) and give out awards (such as "luckiest" for ones who get the highest amount of beneficial potion effects (on first discovery ofc), "deadliest" for ones who get the most kills, "biggest load" for those who ate the most turkey during the run, etc)

might be tough to implement, though, and if so you can simply go with chex's idea
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:48:20 PM by Glass Joe »

Kills, deaths, gold are the main ones though
Awards might be cool, too

you could make the game over/finished game screen like a movie credits roll, like in l4d2
gives some time for players to chat and stuff and look at the various values without cramming it all into one screen

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

I actually had left 4 dead 2 style credits in the original @Team prototype, the issue was they were too long.

Perhaps a quick death summary for game overs would be cool, and save the left 4 dead credits for when you truly win along with a celebration scene.

I've been working on the camera for the game, since the new dungeons are going to have more varying paths I wanted to make sure we had good eyes on things at all times.

stuffty gif, click for high quality gifv

http://i.imgur.com/kLwBoXW.gifv

I turned off the lighting so you guys could see exactly how it reacts to the walls.

It's not 100% yet but I think this is a huge improvement to the camera.

Edit: unrelated to that this random pic was really pretty.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:37:38 PM by Rotondo »

I like that big next dungeon room.

The wall camera reaction looks brilliant, thanks.
Also I do like the look of those long wide paths

I like that big next dungeon room.

Yeah they're much roomier now, it's nice.

They also load 75% faster than they used to due to optimizations.

The wall camera reaction looks brilliant, thanks.
Also I do like the look of those long wide paths

I'm happy you dig it, the camera was wonky for too long so I had to finally fix it.

Still a few things to try in the future but for now I'm happy with it.

Starting to experiment with some new hud ideas.

I really like the idea of making the weapon/alt weapon represented by a sprite, and making the ammo counter bigger helps.

I'm going to try and make the shield/strength ones more obvious, changing the base values to 0, then you'd have + and - due to buff or debuff.

For the health bar I'm thinking of doing a dark souls thing where as you level up and gain more hp your health bar visibly gets longer.

If you guys have any ideas, or huds from other games you really like I'd love to see them as I hate working on guis lol.

Edit: Made a new prototype, kind of a dark souls vibe.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:57:01 AM by Rotondo »

having the icons in pixel form sounds like a great idea, esp with the way it looks atm
maybe have the minimap top right, and on top left
str/attack, defense
weapon ammo

and on bottom left
health
exp

haven't checked out the topic in a while, looks heavily improved

Enemy idea: vampire.
Takes on the form of an allied player, but has no reflection in the floor.

Enemy idea: vampire.
Takes on the form of an allied player, but has no reflection in the floor.
i agree

might be a little too hard unless the ally is dead.