The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release

Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 341642 times)

Just a quick question because I know you'll see this. What college degrees do you/badspot have? in relation to computer science/game design etc

Just a quick question because I know you'll see this. What college degrees do you/badspot have? in relation to computer science/game design etc

I dropped out of high school in an attempt to become a professional skateboarder, and also because school was a pretty horrible fit for me.

At the talks I do about game stuff, I love answering the question of "how did you get into game development", because no one sees my answer coming lol.

Also I'm going to be doing talks at two colleges this year, so remember kids drop out of high school and one day you too can speak in front of college students.

After PAX this is going to need some tweaking to make it not predictable, but it's a pretty neat start.

I dropped out of high school in an attempt to become a professional skateboarder, and also because school was a pretty horrible fit for me.

gotcha. :)

gotcha. :)

Note: Rotondo does not suggest this path to become a game developer, though the parties were fun.

Note: Rotondo does not suggest this path to become a game developer, though the parties were fun.

of course.

do you know if badspot has any of those "degree" things?

of course.

I'm not sure, but he always mentions he went to clown college.

So I assume he was really into juggling and wearing goofy shoes.

Real answer for that though, if I had to suggest anything I'd say go to school for computer science.

This way if game dev fails you have something that is still useful to get a real job.

http://i.imgur.com/RUXnZxf.gif
You should have a path of runes that you need to follow when grabbing that thing :cookieMonster:

You should have a path of runes that you need to follow when grabbing that thing :cookieMonster:

I'm thinking I need to have multiple ways for the floor to collapse, going to experiment with having to follow a certain path as everything crumbles and the like.

Even just randomizing the way it falls, or the type of trap it sets off would be neat, as you wouldn't know what to expect.

East, darn that's too far from Los Angeles.... hoping you go west one day.

Also I think the game needs a new themed section... how about a mechanical dungeon area? With circuit board imprints, rivets and steel, maybe with a a bit of rust here and there, something like what you would see in a cyberpunk rpg esque game.

with every new gif comes more and more spelunky references

madman or riot

also the bug with fillcan not working properly in the editor window is still there.

East, darn that's too far from Los Angeles.... hoping you go west one day.

Also I think the game needs a new themed section... how about a mechanical dungeon area? With circuit board imprints, rivets and steel, maybe with a a bit of rust here and there, something like what you would see in a cyberpunk rpg esque game.

That'd be neat, I think I have the main default themes set but that would be a really cool secret theme.

with every new gif comes more and more spelunky references

also the bug with fillcan not working properly in the editor window is still there.

Spelunky is the greatest game evarrr, which is why you will see it's influence a lot in my game.

Fill can works more like a replace, I should probably change it to actually be a flood fill sometime.

I originally did it the other way because I needed it to work in a week, and replace is super simple to code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwAO6bX7Mlc

Made a new teaser trailer for the game, so I'd have something to show on the steam page launch.

Since the old trailer doesn't have the shiny graphics.

It also shows a few new things you may have not seen.

Also this song was composed just for the game, how neat is that.

of course.

Didn't Badspot go to Virginia Tech? I feel like I've seen that before.

youtube's game detection sucks

youtube's game detection sucks
everything is minecraft, silly

honestly that just means that people who don't know about it have a bigger chance to find it