Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 341622 times)

neat, might make more sense to have a gradual change between biomes
something to make sure deserts aren't next to jungles/snowy forests

neat, might make more sense to have a gradual change between biomes
something to make sure deserts aren't next to jungles/snowy forests

Yeah that's on the list.

I mentioned it in the post however I worded it incoherently lol.

Page loss:
More progress:

Edit: Biome placement still not sense make, but I like this pic.

Added option for biomes to have shores, though I still have to mess with some of the logic.

I should probably work on the biome textures and logical flow/placement sometime soon.

Extra pic:

oh, I missed your edit (already had the page opened and was looking at the pretty pictures)

the closer angle makes it look so much better, could be neat to have little bridges going places and/or some kind of boats sitting around fishing

how are you generating it, first the land shape and then putting a biome over it?

dunno if you talked about them already but what are those colored symbols on the ground for

dunno if you talked about them already but what are those colored symbols on the ground for
Those are effect tiles, you can also find them in dungeons, walking over them gives the player an effect, Trapped, Brick Wall, etc.

you ever thought about adding ambient occlusion?

oh, I missed your edit (already had the page opened and was looking at the pretty pictures)

the closer angle makes it look so much better, could be neat to have little bridges going places and/or some kind of boats sitting around fishing

how are you generating it, first the land shape and then putting a biome over it?

Bridges would be neat, not sure of the best way to implement them with the current generator but I definitely wan them in.

It's basically an extension of the normal dungeon generator, each tile is basically a predrawn room with some on and off randomized tiles.

I also modified/wrote a new path algorithm for some parts to give it a more open feel.

you ever thought about adding ambient occlusion?

Good idea, I just added some fake AO for now.

Eventually I'll get to fleshing it out a bit more, or making the real thing.

I think with some more darkening on the top walls, and some added shadows on the water it's going to look nice.

the ao looks spot on; would love to see that ingame.

Added the same effect to the top walls, and the water.

I still need to think of some effect for the water, either shiny or slight wobble of sorts.

Shadows from the floors casting onto the water could be nice too.

undulo

im never to fond of the whole opaque water. if theres someway you could make it transparent, then add a very very deep fake ambient occlusion across the wall of the water so it looks like it gets darker as it reaches the bottom of the water.

the water could be transparent with a tiled bottom matching its biome
that way you could add some neat depth to it and details later on like coral/sunken ships/fish/treasure that you can't get

it looks absolutely great but i'm not looking forward to the reviewers who are going to unfavorably compare it to minecraft

it looks absolutely great but i'm not looking forward to the reviewers who are going to unfavorably compare it to minecraft
Brown and green blocks? This is a ripoff of Minecraft!

the water could be transparent with a tiled bottom matching its biome
that way you could add some neat depth to it and details later on like coral/sunken ships/fish/treasure that you can't get
this is a good idea