#gamergate megathread

Author Topic: #gamergate megathread  (Read 121510 times)

if it bleeds into their loving career it's a problem
sooo, where is it bleeding into their careers?  Still have yet to prove that one.  Since people here are fans of hour long videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjlW19FuemE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etVtaDjz3D4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9Emz-0S6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcLHBi0iHQ

this stuff isn't new, it's been pretty clear as day, but no one cared until there was a woman involved.

"Trekkie"
"Whovian"
"Athlete"
"Moviegoer"
"Bookworm"
Yes, these terms exist, no one solely identifies as them, and no one advertises to those demographics, especially as embarrassingly as with "gamers"

this stuff isn't new, it's been pretty clear as day, but no one cared until there was a woman involved.
Or maybe this was the "last straw". Did you not see the controversy surrounding Mass Effect 3 and "artistic integrity", or when Gurstman (or however you spell it) had to leave his company over Kayne & Lynch?

It has nothing to do with the fact the original stuffstarter was a female. It has everything to do with people wanting to find a reason to finally take down these websites. I've heard people complain about these progressively more since last year, so it seems only right that something would have set it all off.

Yes, these terms exist, no one solely identifies as them, and no one advertises to those demographics, especially as embarrassingly as with "gamers"
You keep telling yourself that.

If anyone wants that garbage filter for Marcem you can download it here.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_(promotion)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_fandom
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkie
:/

EDIT: The first link refuses to work, it's supposed to lead to a Wikipedia article about movie trailers
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:33:21 PM by WaterOre »

Uh, wow, lol. It's looking more to me like you're the one that needs to go outside.

"TRANS"
"BIloveUAL"
"GAY"

I normally don't use the tumblr defense (read: never) but come the forget on, I'm going at you with your own ammo at this point

I guess Marcem also hasn't considered all the people who call themselves "sports fans" or "supporters" or something like that. Half of the advertisements I see on TV are directed towards the sporting community down here, and most of the people who buy the crap don't even play the sport.

Or maybe this was the "last straw". Did you not see the controversy surrounding Mass Effect 3 and "artistic integrity", or when Gurstman (or however you spell it) had to leave his company over Kayne & Lynch?
He's back at the same office as Gamespot (and gamespot employees regularly feature in Giant Bomb content), where he was fired years ago, he touches on that in the podcast.  Also what does that have to do with writers being friends?  because that's the corruption gamergate is about.

It has nothing to do with the fact the original stuffstarter was a female. It has everything to do with people wanting to find a reason to finally take down these websites. I've heard people complain about these progressively more since last year, so it seems only right that something would have set it all off.
jesus christ cut it with the "female" stuff, they're called women you manchild. 

what's the harm of the websites existing if "gamers" haven't cared for them for years?  Wouldn't they just cease to exist because of the lack of traffic?  Or maybe gamers just want to attack them for trying to actually be journalists and not people who copy and paste press releases.  While I can't say I like sites like Polygon's opinion articles, I'm fine with their existence.

You keep telling yourself that.
K, you find a bit of advertising to people who do nothing but watch movies, or people who do nothing but read books.  That's a terrible label, everyone does these things, just as everyone plays games.

"TRANS"
"BIloveUAL"
"GAY"

I normally don't use the tumblr defense (read: never) but come the forget on, I'm going at you with your own ammo at this point
what the forget?  I'm not following you here?  Now "gamer" is a loveual orientation?  You forget video games?

Can't we just make a Drama for Marcems stuff instead of fighting with him here where it poisons the thread?

Can't we just make a Drama for Marcems stuff instead of fighting with him here where it poisons the thread?
This discussion about gamergate is clogging up the gamergate discussion thread!

lol

Also what does that have to do with writers being friends?  because that's the corruption gamergate is about.
The response of gamers to the evident corruption taking place (EA with its DLC practices because a big issue in the aftermath of that and since have been under significant scrutiny, the publisher for Kayne & Lynch was paying Gamespot to give a good review). Gamers do loving care, but until now they haven't had any significant leads to go off on.

What, mate? Excuse me for not realising there was a difference considering I've never met anybody before who has yelled at me for saying "male" or "females" when discussing gender/love.

I think you might be more of the manchild, having a little tantrum that somebody didn't use the correct term.

what's the harm of the websites existing if "gamers" haven't cared for them for years?
Because they give the impression that they care, since they do reviews, news and blogs about the gaming industry.

Wouldn't they just cease to exist because of the lack of traffic?  Or maybe gamers just want to attack them for trying to actually be journalists
Stop right there. How can they be proper journalists when they don't have the degrees or follow the ethical standards of proper journalist?

and not people who copy and paste press releases.  While I can't say I like sites like Polygon's opinion articles, I'm fine with their existence.
Fantastic for you. You've already proven to have your head stuck up your own arse, though.

K, you find a bit of advertising to people who do nothing but watch movies, or people who do nothing but read books.  That's a terrible label, everyone does these things, just as everyone plays games.
-removed, will get better example later-

Are you seriously suggesting that everybody engages with every media ever? Fun fact: No they don't. A lot of people are illiterate or don't read on a regular basis. Plenty of people don't watch movies. Games are only just slowly entering the public mainstream. Even then, some people may consider themselves better or more engaged by their choice of media than others, and may want to label themselves as such for person reasons.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:53:09 PM by McJobless »

The response of gamers to the evident corruption taking place (EA with its DLC practices because a big issue in the aftermath of that and since have been under significant scrutiny, the publisher for Kayne & Lynch was paying Gamespot to give a good review). Gamers do loving care, but until now they haven't had any significant leads to go off on.
What, mate? Excuse me for not realising there was a difference considering I've never met anybody before who has yelled at me for saying "male" or "females" when discussing gender/love.

I think you might be more of the manchild, having a little tantrum that somebody didn't use the correct term.
Because they give the impression that they care, since they do reviews, news and blogs about the gaming industry.
Stop right there. How can they be proper journalists when they don't have the degrees or follow the ethical standards of proper journalist?
Fantastic for you. You've already proven to have your head stuck up your own arse, though.
-removed, will get better example later-

Are you seriously suggesting that everybody engages with every media ever? Fun fact: No they don't. A lot of people are illiterate or don't read on a regular basis. Plenty of people don't watch movies. Games are only just slowly entering the public mainstream. Even then, some people may consider themselves better or more engaged by their choice of media than others, and may want to label themselves as such for person reasons.
lol good job starfish you didn't even look at the thing you posted good effort.  also EA isn't games journalism lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcopbee_K-I&list=UUWB0dvorHvkQlgfGGJR2yxQ
lol 40 seconds in and he already sounds like an idiot
"why not get mad about orwellian drm policies etc etc etc."
um, there was a huge loving uproar about that stuff too. he's tunnel vision-ing more than the people he's talking about

@op: this whole gamergate thing is loving stupid. as if THIS is the instance of /possible/ corruption we should be furious about. gaming journalism was dumb anyway