Author Topic: #gamergate megathread  (Read 121778 times)

lol good job starfish you didn't even look at the thing you posted good effort.
This discussion about gamergate is clogging up the gamergate discussion thread!
Is it just me, or does he seem to be slowly derailing the topic in order to please his SJW overlords?

@op: this whole gamergate thing is loving stupid. as if THIS is the instance of /possible/ corruption we should be furious about. gaming journalism was dumb anyway
Then why can't we have better games journalism? I don't want to be stuck with the current stuff, which is why we have to voice opinions loud enough so that something will be done.

Is it just me, or does he seem to be slowly derailing the topic in order to please his SJW overlords?
you sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSH17zDnKs

people still using "SJW"
nice
Then why can't we have better games journalism? I don't want to be stuck with the current stuff, which is why we have to voice opinions loud enough so that something will be done.
i agree, but this is like low-level stuff to get worried about. the people she slept with are dumb to rate her game higher or whatever just because they got laid. it wasn't even a bad game, it's just dumb to be like "wow my perception is now changed"

people still using "SJW"
nicei agree, but this is like low-level stuff to get worried about. the people she slept with are dumb to rate her game higher or whatever just because they got laid. it wasn't even a bad game, it's just dumb to be like "wow my perception is now changed"

It wasn't a bad game because it wasn't a game to begin with.

it was, however, definitely a bad book

definitely about games journalism then not about harassment at all

I still can't believe people care about gaming journalism

it was a piece of interactive media that one engages with in order to perform tasks to acquire a certain result at the end.
it was a game. it was basically a choose your own adventure book but with actual feedback to the player as you go.
if it was just one linear story then yeah it's just an e-book but there is user input that changes their status.

point is it wasn't bad, seriously not a controversy worth hashtagging over

I still can't believe people care about gaming journalism
this

it was a piece of interactive media that one engages with in order to perform tasks to acquire a certain result at the end.
it was a game. it was basically a choose your own adventure book but with actual feedback to the player as you go.
I've already said this. It doesn't have the objective qualities of a video game, and therefore cannot be classified as such.

I've already said this. It doesn't have the objective qualities of a video game, and therefore cannot be classified as such.
lol quit thinking you're some expert game designer or some stuff, you're really not.

it's a piece of interactive media that takes user input and creates a fictional world that changes based upon player input
i'd like to see what you think of some more avant garde games lol

yes it does. I don't even know what game you're talking about but based on what daedalus said, it definitely meets the objective qualities of a video game that you clearly are mistaken about
"A video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device."

more in-depth defining:
"An electronic game is a game that employs electronics to create an interactive system with which a player can play."
"A game is structured playing"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:38:47 PM by Foxscotch »

These are notes I have from class. These are the same notes that ever other game design student I've talked to has also received. I also feel as though these are the best qualifications for a video game:

Objective:

1) Goals and Objectives - The game must present a clear winning condition, and must offer subsequent tasks that must be completed in order to achieve the winning condition. Multiple objectives means there is more gameplay and challenge, and thus increases the play length. Objectives can sometimes be a natural part of the gameplay.
2) Rules - The player of a game must never be allowed to completely break the game by doing whatever they want. There must always be limitations which block the player from just finishing the game instantly. Rules may also add challenge naturally or may allow for clever players to exploit loopholes in the rules, and increase the fun the player has. Some rules may need to have exceptions as dictated by the gameplay scenarios.
3) Obstacles and Failure States - The main means of creating challenge is to introduce certain obstacles which the player has to overcome in order to proceed through the game. There are many forms, and the goal is to ensure there are multiple types of obstacles, so that the gameplay is always refreshing and never becomes boring. Failure Statues are the idea that the player's progress needs to be impeded in some form for failing the game in some way, including losing or dying. Punishment may be in more forms than just a simple game-over, such as implications for the story or removing player rewards. The idea is that player should feel encouraged to learn from their mistake and improve, and with practice from replaying eventually master the game.
4) Boundaries - There needs to be a defined play field for all players. Players must not be allowed to break out and exceed the limits of the game world. One may define that the entire universe is the play field, but this still counts as an acceptable limit.
5) Engagement - How the player actually engages with the game, and what kind of experience, feelings, emotions and lessons they take away from it after they finish playing. (The how is subjective, but a game MUST engage its audience on some level, otherwise it is a meaningless task)

Subjective:

1) Visual - How the game looks, or doesn't look.
2) Audio - How the game sounds, or doesn't sound.
3) Player Input - How the player actually interacts with the world.
4) World Output - How the world responds to the player and notifies the player back.

On the Objective scale, Depression Quest lacks #3 and #5 and #1 is never made clear.

Furthermore, I made a well received blog entry (that I've since moved to a new blog) which expands on this:

Video Games Are...

Now please try and tell me how Depression Quest meets any of those criteria I have listed?

"Trekkie"
"Whovian"
"Athlete"
"Moviegoer"
"Bookworm"
Brown Shirt
Biker
Operator
gangsta

#1 and #3 are what you make of them. if you for some reason consider being the most depressed person alive at the end of the game winning, that's your goal.
objective definitions for art are stupid because art as a concept is subjective.
the entire game is based around #5, lol. you engage with the game by guiding your "character" through their troubles. the game is about emotional turmoil (or not, if you steer the story in that direction)