Author Topic: Blockland Glass 4.2  (Read 291254 times)

You're doing great work scout, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Just make sure you don't push yourself too hard.

Music support can be a bad idea because of copyright issues. It's best to not add it.

I cant update my add-ons

I press "update", fill the text boxes, submit the update, then it brings me to a page where both changed file boxes are empty and the only button I can click is "Cancel Update" which displays this and only this:
array(2) { ["aid"]=> string(3) "206" ["action"]=> string(13) "Cancel Update" }
You have to wait for the update to be approved by a reviewer. You probably cancelled your update when you clicked "Cancel Update"

Also I cant seem to find a way to change my name.
Your name will always be the same as your in-game name. It may not update immediately, but it will next time you re-log.

Also there seems to be no support for giant packs. Having to upload all of my More Default Prints separately is not only annoying for me, the add-on maker, but annoying for the players if they wanted the full pack. This gets worse, as if I wanted to upload my DeathMatch GameMode to glass, I'd have to upload all 31 of my DM maps as separate files. Also is there music support?
That's largely an issue related to the way the Gamemode system is designed. I don't intend to allow user-defined packs but have considered implementing a pack system that moderators could create, similar to RTB.

Glass will not support music, ever. Too much of the music floating around here breaks copyright laws.

You have to wait for the update to be approved by a reviewer. You probably cancelled your update when you clicked "Cancel Update"
Cancel Update was the only button in the page, so that was the only one I was able to click. I assume there should have been other buttons, and also clicking "delete" on my addons seem to do nothing except add a # to the url.

Cancel Update was the only button in the page, so that was the only one I was able to click.
As intended. Navigate away from the page and go about your day.

clicking "delete" on my addons seem to do nothing except add a # to the url.
That's next on the to-do list.

As intended. Navigate away from the page and go about your day.
Oh now I feel silly. Alright thanks

That's next on the to-do list.
Alright, just wanted to delete some add-ons to replace them with my newer ones

The system wasn't originally designed to work with decals, and I don't have an environment where I'm able to do local testing. When the site released, uploading worked fine. I've had to deal with my personal circumstances changing significantly since then, as well as switching hosts and undergoing major updates to the frameworks Glass is built off of. Everything since that has been blind attempts to fix bugs in a live environment, so my work is limited to mostly single-line changes.

Categorization is a stuff show due to split haphazard development. Glass 1 had more distinct categories, but that led us to the problem of having boards that only had a single add-on, add-ons that could've fit in multiple, and add-ons that fit in none. I intended to finish that tag system, which would've provided very effective sorting, but at this point I believe it's better to re-implement Glass 1's system with some small tweaks as opposed to coming up with our own categorization system.

I agree that a service that has it's core in add-on hosting should be able to do just that. I'm fairly ashamed that it doesn't, but I'm not personally in a place where I'm able to make sweeping changes overnight to remedy it. I will, eventually, but it will take some time. When I started Glass, I intended for it to be a community project which is why every piece of it is available on GitHub. I realize now that Blockland's development community really isn't large enough for that, but I didn't start Glass with the intention to do it alone. Now that Paperwork is pretty much an official developer of the add-on side of things, that frees me up to tackle site issues. I've made Glass Hosting a priority for this month because there's actually a large need for a hosting service now that there's none, and because it'll offset the cost of hosting Glass; this isn't free, it's all coming out of my pocket for the time being. I'm fine with that, but if there's an opportunity to make this service self-sustaining while aiding the community, that's one that I'll take.
I'm sorry I'm not trying to like discredit everything you're doing.  I know this is probably a lot of work for one guy to handle.  I'm just sad because I can't upload any of my work to what seems to be the new standard for hosting add-ons lol..

Yeah, I've been discrediting all the work that's been going on here myself.

I can't upload screenshots of my colorset. It shows a blank screen after submitting the file and the screenshot never later appears.

Blockland Glass
3.0.7 to 3.1.0

Features
  • Chatroom window can now be resized.
  • Ability to toggle automatic live connect on startup.
  • Ability to toggle startup notification.
  • MM back button for add-on pages.
  • MM URL support in add-on page descriptions.
  • Proper MM add-on file validation during add-on population in MM 'My Add-Ons' page.
  • Chatroom button in overlay.
  • Friend added/removed notifications.
  • Friend request anti-spam.
  • New sounds for friend online/offline, DM sent/received, chatroom and friend added/removed.
  • DMs now display the user's BLID in the window title.
  • DMs now more or less scale depending on how long the user's name is.
  • MM minor text changes (name, trending page).
  • Image optimization routine applied to all images, reducing the size of the .zip by one whole megabyte.

Fixes
  • ::SetLoading(); dedicated server spam fix during .getUpdates();
  • Glass user window no longer displays the username - is now just called "Glass User" - the username is displayed within the Glass User window.
  • Fixed issue where a package wasn't executing at all if a server had already been previously started in the same session.
  • Fixed being able to resize the Glass User window.
  • Fixed not being able to DM users in chatroom who aren't friends (this was only half fixed by the last update).

Finally! Glass is more usable now!

P.S. Are you still unable to upload addons to the site?

Finally! Glass is more usable now!

P.S. Are you still unable to upload addons to the site?

add-on uploading is fixed.

add-on uploading is fixed.
Decals still don't upload though  :cookieMonster:

Not tryna tell you guys how to code this because I know hardly anything about code.  But with an error message like "Required Files Missing" I can only assume that when I upload decals, Glass is searching for an unnecessary file.. And all you have to do to fix this problem is remove the code that is searching for whatever made up file I don't have in my .zip.. right?  Unless that's just a generic error message for this not working.

I mean I downloaded other Faces/Decals that are hosted on glass right now, I assume they uploaded before this was broken.. And I have all the right stuff.  I'm missing the JSON files but that is stuff Glass should add right?  Nowhere on the OP, Website, or upload section does it say anything about me writing a JSON file for my decals.  Something I don't know anything about even if I wanted to write whatever JSON files.  Is this what's holding me back? The JSON files?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:21:04 AM by Jay the Cartoonist »

Decals still don't upload though  :cookieMonster:

Not tryna tell you guys how to code this because I know hardly anything about code.  But with an error message like "Required Files Missing" I can only assume that when I upload decals, Glass is searching for an unnecessary file.. And all you have to do to fix this problem is remove the code that is searching for whatever made up file I don't have in my .zip.. right?  Unless that's just a generic error message for this not working.

I mean I downloaded other Faces/Decals that are hosted on glass right now, I assume they uploaded before this was broken.. And I have all the right stuff.  I'm missing the JSON files but that is stuff Glass should add right?  Nowhere on the OP, Website, or upload section does it say anything about me writing a JSON file for my decals.  Something I don't know anything about even if I wanted to write whatever JSON files.  Is this what's holding me back? The JSON files?

the issue is that there's no distinctive check in place specifically for decals yet - I just checked the code on GitHub.
"add-ons" and "other" are essentially the same category, the checks applied are the same (although there is a colorset check).

what happens is that when you try to upload your decals, the system is checking the .zip for the existence of a description.txt and a server/client.cs because it's treating it like a standard add-on, not a decal pack.

I don't really do PHP (I don't work on the site) so that's just what I think is happening from a quick skim of the code, but simply changing one line in the file checking function should fix it (ideally the decal checking function should just be written instead).

P.S. I don't know how previous users have managed to upload decals, and I don't have time at the moment to look back and see why the function was changed to be that way - but atleast the issue has been found.

P.P.S. a blank client.cs should make your decal packs uploadable, it's a bit silly but it should work if you just want them uploaded - a blank file will obviously do nothing and it can always be removed in an update.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:55:23 AM by Paperwork »

The site code isn't concise at all making it a bit of a process to track back bugs. I'm also limited in when and where I can do site work which is why I still haven't gotten around to it. I essentially have to replicate the error locally (which isn't always possible), then trace it from the upload page -> a pseudo-ajax upload script -> a JSON upload response -> AddonManager class -> AddonObject class -> Database. There are other classes included along the line that deal with file handling.

The reason I never wrote the validateDecal method in the first place is because I wasn't sure what the file requirements for decals were, so it defaulted to checking it as a normal add-on. I'll try to get it fixed tonight.