Blockland Glass 4.2

Author Topic: Blockland Glass 4.2  (Read 296120 times)

Will there be a vehicles section?

yes.

Also, as a total offtopic and not 100% necessary, would it be possible to also include the addon descriptions for the RTB archive section?  Currently I use Glass or Swollow's archives to find the addon and orbs to actually figure out if I need it.  It would be wonderful if everything was consolidated tho.

Just remembered mention of this:
I'll see what can be done, eventually we want to allow for a lot more things to be modified with the playerlist.

How far will Glass go with this kind of stuff? Because I absolutely love this idea. Of course, this would only work for people who have glass, but it would be awesome seeing servers adding custom columns to the player list. I'm imagining columns showing player teams, levels, etc. It would be amazing if the playgui was also made a little more open for servers to play around with. I'm thinking more bars, perhaps for servers to show hunger levels, thirst, health, like in a survival game, or just whatever would require a bar.

A few months ago, I cooked up these concept images of a dream mod that would expand the player UI for servers to take avantage of:

Example usage:

Would something like this be a thing we might see in the future, or is this outside the scope of Blockland Glass?

Would something like this be a thing we might see in the future, or is this outside the scope of Blockland Glass?
Definitely in the scope of what we're trying to do, a big part of Glass is adding tools to help servers become better. The playerlist stuff is something that we'll try to do in the future but not for the 4.0 release. The top print idea is pretty good and I would be fine with adding client commands like the center and bottom print so servers could use it.

While the bars are cool and I'm sure helpful for servers owners I feel like unless we made an entire system for making HUDs it might be better off in just a client add-on which you could require using Glass's required clients system. Maybe we could add a bar for health like how the energy bar works though.

"Blockland Glass" is a title I've recycled a few times as just a general enhancement suite. The name "Glass" came because it was intended to provide GUI/HUD functionality, kind of like a screen over Blockland. The original release is here, though the download is broken.

This is something I'd be interested in implementing again in the future now that we have a stronger player base and more experience.

edit: Slayer actually utilized the GUI downloading if I remember correctly. Not sure if it still does.

edit 2: More past features. All on the table for future implementation, in some old archive I believe.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:03:30 AM by Scout31 »

download page is broken for me

And me as well. Site maintenance?

The site was down for an update that corresponds with Glass v4.0.0. There's been a lot of aesthetic changes and the file upload process has been rewritten. All add-ons have been re-categorized.

The API (and thus mod manager) for Glass 3.x hasn't been thoroughly tested since there's been a few changes for Glass 4, so some things may be broken or a little wonky until the update comes out.

We're happy to release Glass 4.0 Open Beta 1. We're getting pretty close to release and we'd like to have some more eyes looking over it. We don't have a change-log ready yet, but anyone who's been following the thread has seen some screenshots of the changes.

A few things aren't done, such as the new Manual GUI. We'd like to focus testing around the friend invite/join system and the mod manager mainly as invites haven't been very thoroughly tested and the mod manager has been rewritten.

Download

This is a beta version and is released with no promise of functionality or completion. While we've tried our best to iron out bugs, there will inevitably be some left.

Please report any bugs you find either in chat or on GitHub.

It's still forcing specific files to be added to the zip, I just tried uploading a sky environment pack. :/

The default skies have no description.txt, I don't know why you're insisting on add-ons having description files when even the default add-ons break this convention.

I'm not sure why they broke the convention in the first place to be honest.

I don't know why you're insisting on add-ons having description files when even the default add-ons break this convention.

I don't know why you're insisting on not having a description file when it takes you literally 10 seconds to create one.

I don't know why you're insisting on not having a description file when it takes you literally 10 seconds to create one.
I've already done this. I even had to code for special cases in my gamemodes to make sure empty description.txt files in gamemode maps wouldn't print an empty line to the chat. It's just annoying I have to do this in the first place, I don't remember RTB being limited like this, and I can upload any file just fine to NexusMods, which I am aware barely anyone here is using.

I like it ill try to report bugs forgot its the beta version

I've already done this. I even had to code for special cases in my gamemodes to make sure empty description.txt files in gamemode maps wouldn't print an empty line to the chat. It's just annoying I have to do this in the first place, I don't remember RTB being limited like this, and I can upload any file just fine to NexusMods, which I am aware barely anyone here is using.
RTB didn't require it because it created it's own if I recall.

glass needs something that will attract people who have no knowledge of it or even people who aren't interested in it. that's why i propose an ultimate idea: more player customisation

basically create a m.dts replacement with more things to wear. any players without glass that join a server with glass running will definitely want to get in on whatever outfit possibilities players with glass have.

I'm thinking things like
sunglasses
caps
more hands
more shoes
etc.

a separate avatar changer menu with its own favorites and everything for the glass player model and current avatar preference. if the server doesn't have glass it'll just load your default avatar configuration which would be completely separate from your glass avatar configuration

i wanted to propose some decals that would be hand picked to be added too (like some from jirue) but afaik i don't know of a way to allow server-sided decals