[NEWS] cop shoots black guy for thinking he was about to pull out a firearm

Author Topic: [NEWS] cop shoots black guy for thinking he was about to pull out a firearm  (Read 5478 times)

The cop asked him to pull out his ID, so he reached for his ID, and the dumbass cop shot him. If he didn't try to pull out the ID, he'd be resisting the officer's orders.
All of the evidence isn't in so why are you hastily drawing up conclusions 

All of the evidence isn't in so why are you hastily drawing up conclusions 

We're going off of the information already available in the posted article, so keep your stuffty snarks to yourself

Sure those things are wrong. They are very wrong. But black person shootings are so common now that its getting ridiculous.

they're common because the other types of shootings go unreported to mass media.

forgeted up regardless

People like this shouldn't be allowed to be cops.

That's not something you can determine beforehand. If you want high grade operators who can react faster under pressure you're gonna have to start paying them more than $52k a year on average.

That's not what happened. He immediately notified the cop that he was licensed to carry firearms and that he had one, to which the cop told him to take out his ID. When he reached for his ID, he was shot four times.
Oh, then it's the officer's fault. I do feel bad for him, though.

Why does he have a carrot

That's not something you can determine beforehand. If you want high grade operators who can react faster under pressure you're gonna have to start paying them more than $52k a year on average.

Pretty much this, and along with that a friendly reminder that cops are still people, too. People who still act on a basic instinct of self-preservation. The cop who shot the unarmed civilian  (as far as I can tell) probably legitimately believed the dude was pulling a gun and reacted in less than a second. It was a bad reaction nonetheless, but demonizing and antagonizing cops is the sort of mentality that leads to more stuff like this.

It's completely the guy's fault for saying he's licensed to carry firearms while taking out his ID
Why would you say that unless you were taking out a gun
You're supposed to inform the officer that you are licensed and carrying. Some states even legally require you to.  You don't want them to discover it themselves, or risk you putting your hand near it when reaching for something in your pocket, and have them see and be forced into a hasty decision.

do the cops in your state just teleport to your window as soon as you stop or something? I've always had time to do that before they even get out of the car
Cops can see through your rear and side windows well before they get to it. Digging through your stuff looks suspicious, you could be reaching for a weapon, or trying to hide something incriminating.  Given how unpredictable traffic stops can be, you want to do everything you can to present yourself as not a threat, not do suspicious stuff. "Keep your hands on the wheel" is the biggest thing you need to do
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:25:36 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

People that choke and make the wrong split second decision? I get that it's his fault for reacting too quickly but it's completely understandable as to why the officer would react the way he did to a guy reaching for something.

You gotta understand the amount of stuff cops put up an a daily basis. You can't go through all that and not be paranoid and jumpy to a fault. With that said, the officer still should not have fired at the civilian.
This shooting occurred near the UM campus in St. Paul, which is basically the safest suburb on the planet. The officer's day to day would be very boring in a place like that.

Maybe if he had been jumpy and shot him initially, that would have been explainable by incompetence. But he kept a gun on the woman while her daughter was in the car, and instructed her not to move, while her boyfriend bled to death. He didn't apply a tourniquet or call an ambulance for the misunderstanding. There were more cops on the scene later on, and they also neglected to help him by applying pressure to the wounds. (Not sure if its in the video, I didn't watch it because of the graphic imagery) None of them thought to help.

This is murder.

The evidence in the video is damning enough.

I'm all for whatever reform it takes to stop stuff like this from happening.

Pretty much this, and along with that a friendly reminder that cops are still people, too. People who still act on a basic instinct of self-preservation. The cop who shot the unarmed civilian  (as far as I can tell) probably legitimately believed the dude was pulling a gun and reacted in less than a second. It was a bad reaction nonetheless, but demonizing and antagonizing cops is the sort of mentality that leads to more stuff like this.
He pulled him over a broken taillight with his gun already out in the sunny, blindingly-white suburb of St. Paul and shot him after asking him to pull out his ID and license.. It's not as though Mr. Castile made a sudden movement against the officer's orders, he asked him to pull out an ID and he should have expected that kind of movement.

"Demonizing and antagonizing cops" isn't the end goal here. Major police reform is the goal.

Why does it only matter to the media when a black man is shot?

Every time a black person dies it's tribal

"Demonizing and antagonizing cops" isn't the end goal here. Major police reform is the goal.

First you have to understand what's going on around you before you can begin to promote reform.

Why does it only matter to the media when a black man is shot?

(source)

First you have to understand what's going on around you before you can begin to promote reform.
I don't think holding cops to the stuff that they pull and systematically enable induces enough stress/anguish/whatever to justify them gunning down compliant black people.

Stop wording things like all cops are the same person