Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3772131 times)

"BLOCKLAND"
"Blockland Air"
"QU5UZ2F5"
is it your blockland key

i'm trying to texture stuff but i have no clue how to because i've never done stuff like this before. is there a way to make it so this stuff isn't stretched like it is without creating a new .png specifically for this shape?

its stretched at the left and right edges and the top and bottom edges are compressed

you gotta learn how to UV map

which is basically arranging the vertices of your faces on a flat 2d plane, which is then superimposed onto the texture file you are using.

based on the vertices it will affect how the texture is displayed

you can look up the basics on the blender noob-to-pro guide

i tried uv mapping a floppy disk once and it took me 6 hours

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:22:48 AM by PhantOS »

i'm trying to texture stuff but i have no clue how to because i've never done stuff like this before. is there a way to make it so this stuff isn't stretched like it is without creating a new .png specifically for this shape?

its stretched at the left and right edges and the top and bottom edges are compressed
what am i looking at first

My garbage Sturmgewehr 57.

if ur going for blocky style you'll have to make that stock a loooooot shorter unless you want it sticking out like 2 block lengths behind the person holding it

if ur going for blocky style you'll have to make that stock a loooooot shorter unless you want it sticking out like 2 block lengths behind the person holding it
Not if you use HANDS kill me

what am i looking at first

a lego piece like http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/4558168.jpg

is what i want compared to the stretched edges of the original image but i don't want to have to make a million different texture files for the different shaped tile pieces on the spacecraft
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:03:53 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

a lego piece like http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/4558168.jpg

is what i want compared to the stretched edges of the original image but i don't want to have to make a million different texture files for the different shaped tile pieces on the spacecraft
make one and uv map >.<

you can use the same material-with-texture on multiple faces and have each have a unique uv map

Do ((22 / blender units) + 245) / 256, then project from view (bounds) while you are facing the face you want to apply the SIDE texture to and stretch the UV amount in that direction. (s, and lock with x or y)

Like, if you have a 2x wide thing that'd be 2 bu, which in the formula it translates to 1, because 2x studs wide is actually a perfect map in-game.

You can see the blender units by pressing N and enabling Edge Info: Length as such

End results:

The big one was stretched by 1.0107 and 1.0351 while the smol one was stretched by 1.0429 and 1.1718.

The closer the width is to 2 the closer to 1 the stretch is. Values more than 2 should return a stretch less than 1 while values smoller than 2 should return a stretch bigger than 1.

I held this in for a long time now as I keep saying I'll remake the brick tutorial but I am too lazy for that so just take this.

I might or might not just make a video about this if I am not a lazy forget like I am.

This also might or might not be optimal for DTS stuff. I made the formula up long ago for General's BLB converter. For DTS taking account of real sizes you might have to double your BU.. I don't recall how that part worked.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:50:42 PM by LeetZero »

Do ((22 / blender units) + 245) / 256, then project from view (bounds) while you are facing the face you want to apply the SIDE texture to and stretch the UV amount in that direction. (s, and lock with x or y)

Like, if you have a 2x wide thing that'd be 2 bu, which in the formula it translates to 1, because 2x studs wide is actually a perfect map in-game.

You can see the blender units by pressing N and enabling Edge Info: Length as such

End results:

The big one was stretched by 1.0107 and 1.0351 while the smol one was stretched by 1.0429 and 1.1718.

The closer the width is to 2 the closer to 1 the stretch is. Values more than 2 should return a stretch less than 1 while values smoller than 2 should return a stretch bigger than 1.

I held this in for a long time now as I keep saying I'll remake the brick tutorial but I am too lazy for that so just take this.

I might or might not just make a video about this if I am not a lazy forget like I am.

This also might or might not be optimal for DTS stuff. I made the formula up long ago for General's BLB converter. For DTS taking account of real sizes you might have to double your BU.. I don't recall how that part worked.

If you don't fancy doing the UVs and math manually you can achieve the same effect automagically with my Blender BLB Exporter: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=304533.0
I can only guarantee expected functionality on rectangular faces where all corners are 90 degree angles but it produces kind of okay results for other faces too.

Here's a quick guide:
  • Install the exporter.
  • Assign a material with the name SIDE to the faces you want to have the brick side texture.
  • Go to: File > Export > Blockland Brick (.blb)
  • Make sure Calculate UVs and Store UVs are enabled and click Export BLB.
  • The UVs are written to a new UV layer "TEX:SIDE" seen under Properties > Data (triangle) > UV Maps.
  • For rendering you can create a new texture for the SIDE material and select the "TEX:SIDE" UV layer in Texture > Mapping > Map.

For the record: the plugin calculates UVs for all brick textures and not just the sides. See the readme for more information. I'm afraid I do not have an example .blend file for this yet.

now with grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrraphixs
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:23:24 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »