Author Topic: Worlds (AKA "The Planets" map)  (Read 28842 times)

Now that we can build in water bricks  we dont have to work around them :D

Go water world!

Idea for a planet: A destroyed mechanical planet with glowing blue veins and a whole bunch of asteroids orbiting it.

Not really sure what you're on about with all that math. I just found out that the Constructor units match the 4x and 8x cubes perfectly in size. The only minor challenge was figuring out what texture scale to use for the "studs" on top.

Assuming you use the default textures for the top and sides: the scale for the top is 0.0325 and the scale for the side is .25 . All you then have to do is align the texture to two of the sides of the brush.

Not really sure who or what you are referring to Killer2. There have been some shoddy repackaging attempts of my maps, maybe a poor emulation or two, but not a proper replacement or competitor.
What is the constructor dimensions for a 4x4 cube? I just realized how my 1x1 calculation is wrong for the x and y.

I got it working, but I cannot seem to make it exactly aligned with the grid. For example, if I have a cave that has a 8x8 wide/tall tunnel, I cannot place an 8x8 cube because it says "Stuck!"
Fixed by dragging the map around a little. I rush to the forums for help to quickly...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:18:06 PM by heedicalking »

I got it working, but I cannot seem to make it exactly aligned with the grid. For example, if I have a cave that has a 8x8 wide/tall tunnel, I cannot place an 8x8 cube because it says "Stuck!"
Fixed by dragging the map around a little. I rush to the forums for help to quickly...

All you have to do is line up the interior with any whole integer in the x and y plane. In the z plane it must correspond to an increment of .2 or .4

I get weird dots when I relight the scene?

Weird. I've never had that particular issue. Have you tried it on a different map?

Weird. I've never had that particular issue. Have you tried it on a different map?
I think I figured out why. Instead of making a giant textured cube, I just took a bunch of 8x8 cubes and copy pasted them on the map, instead of texture scaling.

I think I figured out why. Instead of making a giant textured cube, I just took a bunch of 8x8 cubes and copy pasted them on the map, instead of texture scaling.

Oh. Yeah, probably not a good idea to waste brushes like that. If you use the texture scales I provided you'll find the texture scaling works perfectly.

A word of advice: if you make an enclosed area, such as a cave, use a portal on any entrances you create otherwise you may end up with lighting errors, missing faces or worse.

How do torque portals work? Could you send me an example or something for it?

I also wrote up a chart for texture length for various cubes such as 8x8, 16x16, 32x32 and so on.

Edit: I fixed the lighting too. But when I try to export a new planet I made, the exporter crashes, but when I exported the first planet, it worked. The 2 planets are separate files.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:44:12 PM by heedicalking »

Honestly, I have no idea how portals work; I just know that the interiors throw a fit if you don't give them exactly the conditions they want. Complex lighting is not amongst those.

At least portals are generally easy to use. Create a regular brush and scale it so that it extends beyond the edges of the threshold you are closing off. Then set it as a portal. The block will turn pink when it is a portal. You won't see it in the final map. It can make the caves pitch black inside which is generally a good thing.

You are exporting as legacy diff right?

You are exporting as legacy diff right?
I am using map2dif plus

I am using map2dif plus

I use Torque Constructor, so I don't use that. Can't really help you there.

I use Torque Constructor, so I don't use that. Can't really help you there.
I use it too, but I hit export-Map2dif plus.
But the exporter crashes after making a lightmap, or so it seems.

Use this instead...

File>Export as Legacy Diff

I've had no issues with that. No need for map2diff