5 (14.3%)
Nobushi
3 (8.6%)
Orochi
1 (2.9%)
Shugoki
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: For Honor thread [OUT NOW!]  (Read 48220 times)

there's about one or two moves on most characters that are fast enough to be useful for harassment and pretty much all of them come from upwards

unless you've only played as the shugoki against monkeys you should know how many attacks are useless without some form of guaranteed hit
in neutral, you have to throw out guaranteed hits or mindgame your opponent in order to land a combo starter. you have to be careful if you want to get the upper hand. that's just kinda how fighting games work. if there were too many neutral-breaking tools, the player who attacks the fastest would win every time (think Call of Duty), making it a different game entirely.

Hi, I'm a dood who likes ancient/medieval combat like this

should I get it?

i've been itching to get it, but considering its Ubisoft and a bunch of other AAA game stuff, is it worth it?

in neutral, you have to throw out guaranteed hits or mindgame your opponent in order to land a combo starter. you have to be careful if you want to get the upper hand. that's just kinda how fighting games work. if there were too many neutral-breaking tools, the player who attacks the fastest would win every time (think Call of Duty), making it a different game entirely.
No, not the player who attacks the fastest. Don't compare it to a shooter, that's embarrassing. In practically any other game there's positioning (because of ranges and hitboxes) and timing to consider, not just speed. Yeah people shouldn't be able to throw out free heavies out of neutral. But making parry windows massive shouldn't be the reason they're good. Games like Dark Souls have parries but yet a lot of punishment can get dished out without them.

I just dragged my loving richard through a mile of broken glass (the viking story line) and ubisoft did not save a single mission i completed

the problem is you don't have to carefully get an upper hand, all you have to do is not attack or get the other guy to try and parry a feint without them also feinting once they see your feint.

i don't know how high "skill" the game thinks you're at, but in whatever "rank" i'm in it's impossible to get a chain off, guardbreak, or even use stunning tap since i mainly use the raider. even doing the built-in heavy into stunning tap mixup is pretty much useless since nobody falls for it more than once

the game just devolves into me / the opponent screwing up a parry, trading a hit, or missing a counter-guardbreak. the only reason i can do cool chains anymore is because the game's matchmaking for skill switched to extended and gave me a person that's a lot lower "rank", or alternatively somebody can only do a cool chain to me because it gave me somebody that's a lot higher "rank" or just has way better reactions than i do

tl;dr basically to hit the other guy they just have to make a mistake rather than you have to do some cool chain or do cool mindgames
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:32:20 PM by kongo »

to be fair you are using the raider, which is probably one of the worst characters to try to chain with, and is honestly really weak overall. i'm moaning with him rn, and its p difficult to play. all of raiders combos rely on heavies or his one triple light, which isn't bad against assassins if you get them off guard. raider is all about stamina management tbh, if you get a knee in, that drains like a third of most heroes stamina.

im guessing im playing at a pretty decent skill level, and yeah i never throw out heavies if the other person just plays defensively. but for 99% of my fights ive always found a way to work my opponent, even if i don't do it well enough and lose

i thought the raider was pretty good compared to the other characters i've tried out (shugoki, kensei, lawbringer and conqueror)

could never really get any chains off with kensei or lawbringer, mostly just consisted of throw to up heavy on kensei and parry to riposte on lawbringer, and conqueror and shugoki didn't really need to use chains with how much damage they do in a single heavy

also you are automatically on the cool kids list for using the raider
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:20:56 PM by kongo »

Jesus forget this game is brutal

i thought the raider was pretty good compared to the other characters i've tried out (shugoki, kensei, lawbringer and conqueror)

could never really get any chains off with kensei or lawbringer, mostly just consisted of throw to up heavy on kensei and parry to riposte on lawbringer, and conqueror and shugoki didn't really need to use chains with how much damage they do in a single heavy

also you are automatically on the cool kids list for using the raider
raider can also switch directions of heavy attack mid swinging

got my warden to prestige 2, christ this character is too good it feels like sometimes

raider can also switch directions of heavy attack mid swinging
holy hell what

i only know of the heavy to stunning tap, how do you switch directions?

holy hell what

just press light attack on the windup for your heavy attack. its just as quick as a normal stunning tap. also you can dash left right or forwards and stun tap or guard break

nvm read your post wrong, but ive never been able to change directions mid swing besides with the stun tap feint
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:06:18 PM by RedGajin »

holy hell what

im not even sure. i only found out today and i asked how the guy did it and he said only raider can do it

sure it wasnt just a feint or his heavy attack cancelled into a light? ive been trying but cant figure it out :(