Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 334021 times)

Can you allow mod manager users to see change logs for add-ons?

While browsing through the in-game mod manager and opening some of the screenshots for Muffinmix's Sci-Fi emitters, the game suddenly crashed as I clicked on one of them leaving a large console log posted here.

The contents of the RTB 'cache' files are attached. The first is normal and looks fine. (it worked until I clicked it in-game) The other I can't tell, it loads and abruptly disappears when I try and view it in the browser, but opens half of it in MS Paint with the rest black.

collage.png
screen.png

Is that something that can be replicated? It looks like you may have navigated away from a mod page mid-loading because the screen.png has two png files inside of it including http headers which indicates a flag wasn't reset properly or the screenshot downloader was never re-created.

It's on the list of things to do.

In regards to GUI/Content downloading:

I haven't played around with it too much just yet, but I've been working on a mod for a littile while that utilizes RTB's GUI downloading to provide an easy-to-use interface for the clients. However, I've considered adding bitmaps to the GUI to make it look much nicer, which I saw RTB supported sending to the clients. From what I can assume, RTB won't actually download the images the GUI elements refer to if the client doesn't have them (stop me here if I'm wrong on that).

Is there a way to utilize RTB content downloading to ensure that the users download the images? I know I could do it through the default Blockland procedure, but some users have download textures turned off, and as far as I know, there's no easy way to check that server-sided. I already make sure they have GUI downloading enabled in order to join the server, but I now have two questions: First, if I upload a private add-on, despite it being private, are users still able to download the texture files through RTB? Secondly, is there a way to check if the user downloaded content without modifying RTB?

Looking forward to RTB4.

I haven't played around with it too much just yet, but I've been working on a mod for a littile while that utilizes RTB's GUI downloading to provide an easy-to-use interface for the clients. However, I've considered adding bitmaps to the GUI to make it look much nicer, which I saw RTB supported sending to the clients. From what I can assume, RTB won't actually download the images the GUI elements refer to if the client doesn't have them (stop me here if I'm wrong on that).
Ditto on what he said.

It would also be very VERY helpful to be able to update the text values on controls of the GUIs that get downloaded.

i downloaded rtb and put it in my addons folder and it didnt work

You might be able to use the 'content file downloading' of RTB as well as the GUI downloading to get the bitmaps transferred. I'm not sure of the requirements, though. (Server mods only? Used in datablocks?)

You can see the topic when it's updated and you can see what's new

Is there a way to utilize RTB content downloading to ensure that the users download the images? I know I could do it through the default Blockland procedure, but some users have download textures turned off, and as far as I know, there's no easy way to check that server-sided. I already make sure they have GUI downloading enabled in order to join the server, but I now have two questions: First, if I upload a private add-on, despite it being private, are users still able to download the texture files through RTB? Secondly, is there a way to check if the user downloaded content without modifying RTB?

Not currently. Images are binary files which Torquescript doesn't have the capability to read or write so a server-to-client solution is not workable. I'm working on a more generic file hosting solution for RTB at the moment which could be used to allow for downloadable images within the gui downloading system but it would always require those images be somewhere on the RTB system.

There is no feedback report for which files got downloaded through the content downloading, you're only able to see whether the client skipped the entire process or not - like the gui downloading.

There is no feedback report for which files got downloaded through the content downloading, you're only able to see whether the client skipped the entire process or not - like the gui downloading.

Oh ok, so there is a way to make sure they've either downloaded content or not. I was considering putting all the image files into a .zip and packaging it as an "add-on", then making sure the users joining have RTB content downloading enabled so that they can receive the images that way.

My one concern was that if I just put it up as a public add-on, people would try downloading it through the website / mod manager, thinking it's a normal add-on they can use in their server. If I put it on as a private add-on, will users still be able to download the images when they join my server via content downloading? Or is that disabled for private add-ons?

My one concern was that if I just put it up as a public add-on, people would try downloading it through the website / mod manager, thinking it's a normal add-on they can use in their server. If I put it on as a private add-on, will users still be able to download the images when they join my server via content downloading? Or is that disabled for private add-ons?

Private add-ons are exempt from content downloading entirely. I'd like to work out a system where images for GUI wouldn't have to be downloaded in their own zips in the interests of not filling up people's add-on folders with a bunch of zip files that just contain images, and also not taking up space on the Downloads System. I'm thinking some sort of "content" folder in the Add-Ons folder much like the music folder where all non-add-on content would be put. I just have to put some thought into how that'd work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:08:27 PM by Ephialtes »

Why not add the ability to start a dedicated server while in the start a game menu with rtb?Setting colorset manager,music manager,perferences,add-ons manager.

Speaking of dedicated servers. everytime I host one, every single add-on is loaded. Can you add a feature that allows you to load the add-ons you want on dedicated?

Speaking of dedicated servers. everytime I host one, every single add-on is loaded. Can you add a feature that allows you to load the add-ons you want on dedicated?
Thats what im trying to say.

Why not add the ability to start a dedicated server while in the start a game menu with rtb?Setting colorset manager,music manager,perferences,add-ons manager.
Yeah add-on picking for dedicateds would be nice.