Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1286472 times)

I'm thinking of upgrading my home workstation's graphic card to a R9-290 GPU. Is this a good idea or could I get a different graphics card which is much better at the same price?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:32:38 AM by nerraD »

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=249518.0
you didnt finish your sentence. you said "according to a post" and thats it
according to a post, what?

I'm thinking of upgrading my home workstation's graphic card to a R9-290 GPU. Is this a good idea or could I get a different graphics card which is much better at the same price?

I would wait until they come out with some third party coolers for the 290/290x.  Also all the AMD card prices are jacked right now from miners gobbling them all up. 
All in all I would wait until the price goes down at least.

I would wait until they come out with some third party coolers for the 290/290x.  Also all the AMD card prices are jacked right now from miners gobbling them all up. 
All in all I would wait until the price goes down at least.
There are several released open-air cooled versions of the 290 and 290X
As far as cost goes, the 290 has the best value of any other card at that price, provided it's selling at MSRP and not the aforementioned inflated rates

Can anyone explain why AMD cards are better than nVidia cards at mining? What do they have that nVidia is missing?

Can anyone explain why AMD cards are better than nVidia cards at mining? What do they have that nVidia is missing?

I believe it's the way the programs mine that makes it more optimized on AMD cards. There was a miner I used that made NVIDIA cards work better. (Forgot the name though)

Edit:
I assume because of the different architecture of the cards, I would have thought.

This.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:23:35 PM by naturemon »

I assume because of the different architecture of the cards, I would have thought.

Also, here's the upgrade plan that I have used in the past years here.

Well, most people who buy hardware to mine are looking for a return on their investment. The hawaii architecture (290 and 290X) are well-optimized for bitcoin mining on account of their computer performance. There are other cards that have better compute, but not for as cheap. The 290 and 290X have terrific mining performance for their price, which is why so many people have bought them with the intention of making money from mining litecoins

So my dad recently got me a new laptop and I need opinions.

Toshiba
Satellite C855D
AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.40 GHz
4 GB of RAM
64-bit Operating System, x64-based Processor
and it has Windows 8

so this laptop ended up being a pretty bad gaming computer and i kinda want to upgrade its graphics card if possible
does anyone know what card would be compatible with it? preferably one that is under $200

so this laptop ended up being a pretty bad gaming computer and i kinda want to upgrade its graphics card if possible
does anyone know what card would be compatible with it? preferably one that is under $200
not possible to upgrade the graphics card on most laptops if any
looks like you're out of luck

not possible to upgrade the graphics card on most laptops if any
looks like you're out of luck
so laptop vs pc cards are different? or is it the actual getting to the card in the system and switching them?

so laptop vs pc cards are different? or is it the actual getting to the card in the system and switching them?
There is no graphics card in your laptop. Your graphics processing unit is integrated into the cpu, hence "APU"

There is no graphics card in your laptop. Your graphics processing unit is integrated into the cpu, hence "APU"
yeah my dad looked into it. can't replace it. thanks anyway!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:25:57 PM by Skelesys »

You linked the wrong thing, if you look around the page,  see where it says "perma link"? That's what you want to link.