Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 433102 times)

The head is part of the upper body object though, right?
yes
the whole body turns to point in the direction of the mouse

does anyone know of any replacements for the wheelcollider class in unity? they're absolutely loving terrible to work with and are a pain in the ass to tune right because you change one value a tiny bit and all of a sudden you get a plane instead of a ground based vehicle
Sorry, as far as I know there are no good replacements.
i'll try looking at that when i get home but if its using the default wheelcollider class then it is already flawed as wheelcolliders absolutely hate low-mass objects so much that they actually launch them into unity's farlands. wheelcolliders also incorrectly apply force/slip to the wheels too which isn't good at all
Yes, they are a pain, but when everything is tuned correctly, they work just fine and rarely have issues. The problem is getting them there.

If you wanted to, you could hard-code your own, since really all wheel-colliders are are just fancy raycasters. However, I think this would be mostly pointless. Instead, I would do the following if I were in your position.

1. Copy the wheel collider settings/scripts from the default vehicle into your own and get some sort of working setup, no matter how badly it performs.
2. Map all the relevant properties (i.e. mass, spring force, damping, etc.) to GUI sliders.
3. Play with the slider values until you get the setup you want.

trellos pretty dank

could someone explain how i can do
Code: [Select]
foo = qux.new()
foo:bar()
using the c api? im having trouble understanding how i can return a table that i can call :bar() to later on. basically classes and class functions
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:36:18 PM by pefu19 »

might be a spoiler: One of one hundred flies over the path forward x?

it's not a spoiler if it's just a prototype

when are you going to post your games to Itch.io so i can play them you big nerd

Pathfinding wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it'd be:
try pathfinding in a non-grid-based game and report back on how painful it is

Star Signal is a game about a fluffy-looking rabbit-type thing named 144 who is sent to a distant star following a distress signal from the remote research colony, White Planet. it’s a metroid-type where all you need to get where you need to go is the right gun, the right attitude, and to take detours every thirty minutes or so because you wasted bullets on thin air again and you need to find more ammo and oops you’re lost.

guns in Star Signal are less out-and-out 'weapons' and more like a means to an end: most guns have the capacity to affect your mobility by using the recoil to help you jump, pushing you around with their explosions, or doing things like putting nails in walls to be used as platforms and thus even when you're not shooting things that want to kill you you're chewing through ammo. and when ammo runs dry, you Ping to find more, emitting a signal through your head-mounted antennae that can reveal hidden objects, interact with the environment, or discover secrets to make exploring White Planet that much easier

as of right now i'm running the whole show; i'm doing the sprite art, sound design (but i guess not music design) (what i've got now are placeholders, cheerfully stolen from kero blaster), writing, programming, the works. hopefully as the game gets going (i'm pursuing funding now) i can hire part-timers to help take the edge off things but right now i'm limited by how much i can do personally

here's a list of things i already have planned:
• controller support
• making it easier to shoot downward while also moving forward
• making the prohibitory-sign instant-death-murder-blocks less common in the game proper and replacing them with transitions to other rooms
• an actual metroidvania-like level layout instead of the linear prototype layout
• aaaaand that's it

i've just released an early prototype on gamejolt that you can play now that showcases some of the early-game weapons, the writing style, some simple challenges and a couple fun secrets. i think what i need right now is feedback, and maybe a little brainstorming is in order

Play Star Signal 144 (January 25 Prototype) on Game Jolt

crosspost from tigsource

crosspost from tigsource
bushido your work is lovey as forget

crosspost from tigsource
you should list that q switches weapons
or am i not supposed to know that yet

crosspost from tigsource
I see cave story influenced you and honestly I love the fact that it did. Great prototype Bushido, I can see this becoming a big success tbh.

geez bushido your games take action to a new level

could someone explain how i can do
Code: [Select]
foo = qux.new()
foo:bar()
using the c api? im having trouble understanding how i can return a table that i can call :bar() to later on. basically classes and class functions

have qux.new return {
  (metatable) {
    __index = { bar = function }
  }
}