Author Topic: iPhone 6/iOS 8 Launch is basically a disaster  (Read 18576 times)

I get that it's a phone and you have to carry it around all day so it has to be acceptably durable, but anyone who has bent their iPhones literally deserved it for their absolutely egregious lack of care about the safety of the device.
how dare people keep their phones in their pockets

how dare people keep their phones in their pockets

It's not just that they kept them in their pockets -- it's that they were negligent to the point where they allowed enough force to be exerted on the phone to bend it. You literally have to be able to feel that. I've had an iPhone 6 since launch day, it spends pretty much the whole day in my pocket. It's not bent. Nor will it ever be bent, because if I ever sit in a way that causes my phone to be pushed on in a way where it could theoretically be bent I'd adjust my phone so that it wasn't being pushed on by my pocket.

My dad has an iphone 6. He keeps it in his pockets all day and it hasn't bent. Checkmate nerds.

It's not just that they kept them in their pockets -- it's that they were negligent to the point where they allowed enough force to be exerted on the phone to bend it. You literally have to be able to feel that. I've had an iPhone 6 since launch day, it spends pretty much the whole day in my pocket. It's not bent. Nor will it ever be bent, because if I ever sit in a way that causes my phone to be pushed on in a way where it could theoretically be bent I'd adjust my phone so that it wasn't being pushed on by my pocket.
Also this.

It's not just that they kept them in their pockets -- it's that they were negligent to the point where they allowed enough force to be exerted on the phone to bend it.
how dare they wear pants that they like while expecting the modern technology in their pocket to not be made of paper thin sheet metal

And no one wants to see them bending either.  It wouldn't be much more expensive with titanium.  Maybe $60 at most.  Either way, Apple wouldn't do it because they earn more money from Apple Store repairs.

Besides, the prices are inflated because Apple knows that people will buy "the next iPhone" like its some kind of life-saving drug.  Their profit margins are huge.
The electrolysis of titanium is hilariously expensive compared to aluminium, because the process is so much longer.

how dare they wear pants that they like while expecting the modern technology in their pocket to not be made of paper thin sheet metal
you're missing the point

if anything you should say "how dare they not know how much force they were exerting on an iphone6"

I was looking forward to maybe getting a 6 Plus in the future, hoping they make the phones out of something a lot stronger now.

you're missing the point
if anything you should say "how dare they not know how much force they were exerting on an iphone6"
i'd say it's pretty reasonable to assume that because your last phone didn't break from doing nothing the new one would be at least the same

i'd say it's pretty reasonable to assume that because your last phone didn't break from doing nothing the new one would be at least the same
Your new phone is way bigger, so clearly it's going to be easier to break from that..

If anything this is a boon to Apple's customer service. They don't care that you were stupid enough to let your phone bend, they'll replace it no questions asked for free, regardless of warranty or insurance.

If anything this is a boon to Apple's customer service. They don't care that you were stupid enough to let your phone bend, they'll replace it no questions asked for free, regardless of warranty or insurance.
What kind of argument is this lol
"it doesn't matter if it's a stuff product, you can just replace it!! how convenient!!"

It's not a stuff product. The people who are bending it are being negligent. It's their fault, not Apples.

Plus, it's not like any other phone has never ever been bent by hand before.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:00:10 AM by $trinick »

Having watched the bend test video, I really highly doubt Apple didn't know it was a problem. Surely they would have done QA to test durability and would have seen that the bending occurs with far less pressure than previous phones? Or am I just wrong for believing that Apple would be a company to actually engage in proper QA practices and check EVERYTHING to do with their phone, not just its software (which also wasn't QA'd properly)?

People are not negligent for making the assumption that their new phone product will have the same level of rigidity as their previous phones. If Apple knew, they should have made a warning, or then they should have reinforced the product.

They do have the same level of rigidity, though.

Bending has been a problem since at least the 4s.

It just got overblown this time with the huge surge of news regarding the 6 and it's record sales figures.

Anyways, I learnt the rule that tech companies will usually sell their products at about 60 - 75% more than the actual production cost. That $600 iPhone is probably only worth about $200 or less.
Well no stuff. It's called mark up. They're trying to make a profit.
They're not a charity, so they're not going to sell it at the same cost of the materials/construction.

And ultimately with Apple you're paying for a designer brand.
In the same way that people pay for designer clothes. A Ralph Lauren shirt might be no better than an identical shirt you could buy at your local supermarket, but it's a designer label, so you pay more.

If there was a strong wooden body for the phone I'd consider buying that.