Poll

which is better

85 (45.7%)
101 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: Scenery's SUBURBIA  (Read 126439 times)

by gytyyhgfffff, charlesspeaking, and destroyerofblocks
corpse processor, pope hat and the police mustache commissioned from filipe
crafting brick model and hamcuff models gifted by phanto
food model bricks gifted by trogtor
the map is georges', he let me use it (he didn't build it specifically for suburbia)

[MAP] [FEATURES] [UPDATES] [TO-DO LIST]

suburbia is a city rpg "evolution" (even though it really isn't a city rpg anymore read the updated section i doubt that city rpgs have demon corpses), where a lot of features have been changed or remixed to be more enjoyable for the player
right now, the server is in the development stage, which means that a lot of features will probably change in the future. if you have any suggestions, please list them.

Map

so yeah i'm using george's city rpg map from here. build quality is going to be a little more strict compared to other city rpgs because i don't want to ruin this map

Features

GUARANTEED FEATURES:

• BUILDING BRICKS WILL NOT COST ANY SORT OF RESOURCE
  • JAIL TIMES WILL BE SHORT BECAUSE SRSLY forget ALL LONG JAIL TIMES
  • NO IPHONE MINIGAME JOBS
  • NO MORE GRINDING JOBS
  • YOU WILL NOT BE PERMA-BANNED OR HAVE YOUR PLAYER RESET FOR PLAYING THE GAME
  • YOU WON'T HAVE TO PAY REAL LIFE MONEY TO GET JOBS FASTER
  • YOU WON'T HAVE TO PLAY ON A HORRIBLE MAP
HOORAY FOR THIS CITY RPG NOT HAVING FEATURES THAT DESERVE TO BE BURNED ALIVE

this city rpg throws a lot of old boring features away from past iban city rpgs. here are some of the things that are no longer in existence in this server:

• laborers have been removed completely, and the starting point for players has been changed so they can get to more exciting jobs quickly. you don't have to grind anymore at the start, and stuff like guns and bricks won't cost resources because honestly that is just a big pain in the ass to play with
  • education is gone. for our system, we're deciding if we should have a exp system or a "superior" system (read below) for acquiring job positions
  • dying from hunger is gone, as tophat said, dying from food is unnecessary and shouldn't be featured in something like a cityrpg. instead, food provides buffs such as moving more quickly or having more hp, making food a cool gameplay mechanic where criminals and police officers will be eating more food so they can perform better in battle
  • jobs don't spawn with free guns anymore. as a result of this, there's no more criminal jobs. you will have to purchase weapons from other players (or if you're a police officer, guns will be paid using government money. more info on that below). spawning with guns makes Flash Mobs very common, and having no guns will help keep killing sprees that city rpgs are so famous for down
  • no more pardoning Flash Mobs out of jail for only 300 bucks, instead you can either reduce your sentence using lawyers (that might not be implemented) or break people out of jail. also you won't have to be in jail for a million years either, the max jail time will be 10-15 minutes because nobody likes sitting in jail in a videogame

ok now for the new features

ok i re-did the op so the new features are gone but they're not because here's a picture of the old op
http://puu.sh/terVW/63ec1947ca.png

here's the links in the old op that you can't click anymore because its a forgetin picture
http://www.garycact.us/fling.gif
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=287678.msg8877385#msg8877385

Updates
this section is for all the update posts that i made since i started making them because they're really forgetin important and nobody cares enough to go back through 50000 pages to search for previous updates

if you think the images are too small right click them and open them in a new tab you loving spaz
also have loving fun loading all these images because the op is way too forgetin big http://puu.sh/tetXY/38d671a7e1.png

http://puu.sh/oslrl/1e73b23e57.gif

ok i've played panpour5's city rpg and have relearned what i hate about city rpg's and i'm posting them here so i and nobody else forgets the great sins of these iban edits

• suburbia will not have a lot of rules (probably the only rules will be 1. read the rules and 2. don't be a cunt)
  • suburbia will not clear player builds/reset players stats only 5 days into hosting (so yes you can actually put effort into your builds without fearing their removal)
  • suburbia will not ban you for disrespecting admins
  • suburbia will not ban you for using all capital letters in your chat (yes this was an actual rule in panpour5's what the forget)
  • suburbia will not have administrators that are not mature and are furries/stealth furries
  • suburbia will not make custardo an admin (look him up in the drama section and yes he is a part of the administration on panpour5's
  • suburbia will let you have your own avatar instead of that stupid iban avatar thing
  • suburbia will have a fixed duplicator that will be impossible to exploit so yeah the duplicator will be enabled (by the way iban edit server hosters fixing that is real easy and you could do it if you put effort into your servers)
  • suburbia will have a stable server that doesn't lag out and doesn't require a restart nearly every hour
  • suburbia will have cool vehicles (not the ones that you see on most city rpg's all the time)
  • suburbia will be complete when it goes public (most city rpg servers don't seem to do this)
  • suburbia will not have the pointless grind at the beginning
  • suburbia will be fun
  • in suburbia there will be no jobs with "40 education" or any suburbian superior system equivalents that take actually takes loving 68 hours to acquire (this is a thing in panpour5's and it is possibly the worst thing ever heard)

that concludes my list that was basically only created because i was banned for panpour5's server after he cleared all the builds/reset players stats less than 5 days in for no good reason. i called one of the admins a furry (after he absolutely failed to justify the server reset (http://puu.sh/pUK7L/3a7fed88f8.jpg), the only explanation that admins gave was "blame the duplicator" more like blame the admins for letting something that can duplicate drugs without cost and its not like this was not known) because they were actually a furry and i feel as if you all should know about my bias because there is a bias present in this list

bonus image:

something to think about

https://youtu.be/NRJ9McnjyOg

update: police alligators

police alligators are sort of like player controller attack dogs. they can attack criminals on command. this is the direct result of destroyerofblocks not wanting /crims in suburbia, which means the police alligators will locate criminals as well. they're simple: aim a gator whistle item at somebody, left click, and your alligator pal will attack them, wanted or not wanted. if they're not wanted you'll get the demerits when the alligator assaults them. right click, and your alligator will sniff out and head towards the nearest criminal.

bonus image:
http://puu.sh/rCvea/0986d5d0c0.jpg

second bonus image: https://puu.sh/rwRO9/15eb04969c.gif

ok so all vehicles now have engine sounds. i wasn't sure if i was going to get around to finding/coding in all the engine sounds but charles ended up doing half the work for me. the engine sounds are good.
demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLoKatQV9ro

also i'm not sure if i've mentioned this before but suburbia has a footstep mod to make walking around the island audibly interesting so there are many good sounds in suburbia

click the image for a gif

update: vehicle statistics gui

this gui will show various statistics for all the vehicles on the server to make your purchase decisions easier and informed. this gui will be opened via a button in the spawn vehicle gui that'll auto-select the vehicle you've selected in the spawn vehicle gui. everything is pretty self explanitory and there isn't anything else to this gui its just nice to have for making well informed purchase decisions
also note: the prices aren't final yes i know some vehicles are free
note: hp and amount of seats in the vehicle have been added since this post

click for gif

update: pope

the pope runs the church and is in charge of the priests that are also apart of the church. the church's main goal is to appease god via donations and human sacrifice so that god doesn't rain down super meteors or alligators equipped with machine guns. the pope can equip their priests with weapons that deal extra damage to corpse beasts and maybe druggies but that hasn't been confirmed by the game designer. the pope can also manually trigger god events that add/subtract karma which means he can control karma that way (god events are triggered automatically every 3 minutes and based on karma they'll either be good (such as money/gun rain, etc.) or they'll be bad (alligator rain, etc.)). to reduce the cooldown shown in the gif the pope can sacrifice people and the richer they are the more they'll reduce the cooldown. if you sacrifice people without the event trigger cooldown active then the sacrifices will increase karma based on how rich the sacrificees are. the pope also is in charge of hiring/firing priests.
direct interaction with god will be a rare occurance. he'll just sit there doing his events unless karma gets ridiculously low then he might scream at you or some stuff

additional notes about the pope:
- the mayor can make himself the pope via laws
- the mayor can pass laws that harm the church's interests i.e. laws that increase bad karma
- the mayor can pass laws that benefit the church i.e. donating a portion of tax money directly to the church
- the pope might be able to turn church funds into positive karma but i need to talk to destroyerofblocks about that
- pope hat http://puu.sh/nAVed/e5ffcc5db4.png
- anyone can donate to the church via the church's altar brick and the pope pockets 30% of the money donated that he gets to decide what to do with

ok so remember when i posted centerprint guis and everybody was like "cool" well we aren't going to be having those anymore because they are way too much work. the suburbia client will not be required to play except if you want to be the mayor/police chief/pope. i'm going to try to keep the amount of guis reduced so that people without the client can still play the game though

update: character gui

the character gui is opened via /character or through the gui buttons i showcased in a previous update. in the character gui you can view your resource inventory, your food buffs, and perks that you can choose once every 5 minutes. you drop all of your inventory on death and your food buffs also clear on death, so be careful if you're holding onto 1664 uranium like i am. food buffs can be reset via the vomit button at the bottom which clears all food buffs on your player (there's a perk that changes this so you can selectively vomit stuff up). perks are suburbia's way of getting rid of jobs because most of the bonuses that can be had in perks could've easily have been jobs but we were like screw that that'll be some bullstuff because you won't have as much freedom. here's the perk list if you're interested.

the character gui is not final but expect to see something similar to this when you play suburbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-RJbDI8Cis bank gui in action
update: bank gui and help gui

ok so dob thought it would be a good idea to let players store their stuff in the bank like weapons and resources and food so instead of making a nightmare infobrick to use to store all your bullstuff so i made a bank gui to simplify this stuff. it automatically opens when you go to the bank/atms and lets you store your stuff. here's the description from the help section of the bank because it explains the bank better and more eloquently than i will:in addition to this you will be allowed to kill players in the bank because being told not to by rule doesn't work and is bullstuff and scripting in something that makes players take no damage in banks can be used as a cheap way to avoid being killed on the streets

so yeah that excerpt is straight from the help gui which will be included in the suburbia client to make it easier for everybody to figure out what the stuff is going on. help commands are some bullstuff because they are divided up into sections and it takes 50 hours to navigate those sections because you have to type in a different command and then page up/down through all the bullstuff to get an idea of what is going on. for the gui you just click a section on the left side and there you go there's the information you want. all suburbia gameplay mechanics will be covered in the help section and there's like 10-15 sections that haven't been added to the help gui yet hence why the image above only features several. the help gui can be accessed through the character gui which was featured in an earlier update post.

update: crafting info gui in character gui and actual crafting gui that you can use to craft stuff

ok so finals are tomorrow and i haven't really started studying yet so this will be the only update this week. today i have finished the two crafting guis though so hooray. the one on the left is a crafting info gui that you can open at any time and look at various recipes and abilities of different craftable items (items in this case meaning weapons and foods). the one on the right is the gui that you use to craft stuff and will automatically open when you approach a crafting brick. it will tell you the max amount of items you can craft once one is selected from the list on the left side of the gui and will let you craft how many items you want provided you have enough resources. if you don't have enough resources to craft one of these items a dialog box will come up telling you which ingredients you are missing. in both of the guis you will be able to look at various qualities of the item like damage or shot speed for weapons and for foods what buff it provides and how much hunger it alleviates.

at this point i think the character gui that first debuted a few weeks ago is done and looking at the to-do list i do not see anything left for the character gui or anything else on the list that will take more than a few hours to complete. but as i said at the start finals are tomorrow and end on friday so i can't afford to spend time working on suburbia unfortunately. for when this will be released i don't know i'll work on this when i feel like it but at the very forgetin most it'll be done and hosted in march. but that's a very generous amount of time for me to finish a few things that'll only take a few hours each at most.

To-do

a lot of major features aren't implemented yet because i'm making this mod from scratch but don't worry i should have some important base mechanics done soon

have a list of what we still have to do + some speculation of how some stuff will work in this game
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvh6Dh_eP53QFRNjxGojFauu6ZImieW-HxseRUUkh3E/edit?usp=sharing

here's a more specific list for what i have left to do
http://puu.sh/toCcT/690ad699dc.png
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:14:35 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

i was told to reserve this post
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:13:08 PM by CharlesSpeaking »

Cool. If you want some more ideas, I recently made a City RPG idea document that got pretty popular: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1my2Xgcn16XBP59FsRB60q4sQ4uejO-CLe-CoNIHIUQI/edit?usp=sharing

While I was planning on making something with them in an iban edit, you can use any of the ideas I listed off.

yaaaas

For the weather, if you use an island build, make it so that in the morning, the fog is heavy, but as the sun rises it dissipates. That would be awesome.

but is it robust
if you are comparing it to the superiors system anything can be robust

if you are comparing it to the superiors system anything can be robust
i disagree as the experience systems features are far less robust than the superior systems player agency

give the prison a ball pit and a bounce castle

i disagree as the experience systems features are far less robust than the superior systems player agency
you cannot deny the idea of a superior system is unjust as you have lost the will to deny

you cannot deny the idea of a superior system is unjust as you have lost the will to deny
the superior system is only unjust as long as there are no proper measures to limit and remove people from power and i am sure that they will exist if it is voted in